How to turn off 3G ?Support

Last Updated:

1. Dem

Dem Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

Probably a silly question, but anybody here able to tell me how to turn off 3G on this phone?

I just want to see what impact it has on battery life.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. JPBrowne

JPBrowne Active Member

Settings/wireless controls/mobile networks/ network mode
    Then select gsm only.

You can put it into flight mode by holding the powe key and selecting flight mode. This turns off all the radios.

3. Clash

Clash Member

The above will switch off all data. To only switch off 3G got to Settings - Wireless controls - mobile networks - then untick MMS & Data. This will only allow calls and Sms messages.

4. Dem

Dem Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys, but I was hoping to leave GPRS running (so I could still access internet services), but switch off 3G. In other words, still have all functionality, but slower and hopefully using less juice.

Or have I totally misunderstood how phones work? :smile:

Thanks!

5. JPBrowne

JPBrowne Active Member

The gsm radio uses less power than the 3g but if you're using it for data then it's going to take way longer to downoad stuff over GPRS/Edge than on 3G/hsdpa so you'll use more power because it will be transmitting and receiving for longer. For a voice call the gsm will use less power than the 3G.

6. wooks63

wooks63 Well-Known Member

If you're just worried about saving battery power, install something like JuiceDefender. You can set it so that when the phone is locked, 3G is turned off. As soon as you then unlock the phone it automatically comes back on ready for when you need it. There are other settings such as turn it on a specified intervals so that Timescape stays updated, but I don't personally bother with that.

If you're browsing, 3G knocks spots off of standard GPRS and I wouldn't even bother trying to use just GPRS!

7. sexperiax10

sexperiax10 New Member

Hi Dem, did you manage to have GPRS working? I have tried endless attempts to connect to GPRS/Edge on GSM network mode only but without success. Is this result intended on the x10? I cross checked with my friend's Nexus and he was able to connect so definitely not an android or my cellular network's problem. Anyone can help?

8. yeenster

yeenster New Member

hi there,

Just wanted to get some help from all of you, once we disable the 3G connection which following the steps given, we still can surf the net using wireless right?

thanks

9. darthlinux

darthlinux Well-Known Member

Yes you can still surf wireless I use APN to turn off my 3g connection, nice little widget on my home screen, I press my wireless widget when I get home and use APN to turn 3g off.