How to turn off appsSupport

Last Updated:

1. loumalnati

loumalnati Well-Known Member

If I use google on my lg optimus v and then I use google navigation or if I open any apps at all should I be closing these out ? I noticed my battery is draining completely in 3 hours even though I am not using it for calls..web surfing, etc.

If I should be closing the apps do I close them

Jeff68005 likes this.
  2. syav

syav Well-Known Member

Leaving GPS on consumes battery. If u have a browser other than the stock browser (ie. Dolphin, Opera Mobile) running in the background, those browsers consume battery as well. Most apps running in the background doesn't consume a lot of battery though so u can leave them running. If u want to close an app, go to Settings > Application > Manage Application > Force close app.

I recommend getting a battery or cpu task manager from android market that can help u figure out which apps consumes your battery. :)
  3. JohannFu

JohannFu Member

> I recommend getting a battery or cpu task manager from android market

Please recommend a specific one. Thanks!
  4. adam97202

adam97202 Well-Known Member

I like Android Assistant, because you don't HAVE to have it running in the background closing your apps periodically. I just open it occasionally and hit the "Quick Boost" button, and it closes any programs that don't need to be open.

Quick Settings is nice for being able to turn GPS on and off quickly -- as well as adjust screen brightness, disable mobile data, etc
    Jeff68005 likes this.
  5. syav

syav Well-Known Member

Currently I'm using Processor Monitor widget.
    Here's a snapshot of that widget that shows which apps are being used by my phone's CPU. More CPU=more battery usage.
  6. syav

syav Well-Known Member

7. agianne

agianne Well-Known Member

"Open" apps do not consume battery unless you are actively using the app (the app is displayed on the screen.) Some -processes- use battery, but only when they are actually doing something like synching up with your e-mail (so a few seconds use every 15 minutes, for example).

Android manages memory, applications and processes on its own and you don't need to do anything special. If you can't see an app on the screen, the app is basically hibernating. If Android needs the memory for something else, Android will auto close the least used app(s) until it has the memory it needs.

A battery manager may help, but task killers do not have the benefits that most people believe they do and won't help you much. (Google the phrase "don't need a task killer in Android" and several articles will come up if you want to learn why task killers are not a great idea.)

Three hours for battery drain is very goofy. I have WiFi and GPS on all the time, make phone calls, surf the web (etc.) and my battery lasts all day. I just plug it in every night. I've never used the phone so much in one day that I've used up the entire battery charge.

Hit the menu button, then Settings -> About Phone -> Battery Use to see what processes are eating up the most battery. I'm not sure what is happening with your phone, but three hours is abnormally quick for the battery to get used up.
  8. syav

syav Well-Known Member

I agree with what agianne said about task killers. It is not necessary to kill a bunch of apps to save battery. On my process monitor widget I use it as a guideline. It reminds me to exit Dolphin if I'm not going to use it. I don't bother closing other apps since the rest doesn't use a lot of battery.
  9. Thorsten

Thorsten Well-Known Member

Taken on its own, the first sentence is incorrect. (And I'm not sure if all readers will understand that the second sentence acts as a qualifying statement to the first, in particular that those background processes mentioned do exist because of apps "open" in the background.) In other words, leaving an app "open" in the background often decides whether or not this app runs one or more battery-draining background processes. Skype appears to be one example. (But you're absolutely right as far as most apps are concerned.)

Unfortunately not. Draining a full battery completely in about three hours is not at all unusual in situations where the signals used are very week. Having to constantly hunt for and/or re-acquire signals appears to be one of the worst offenders, when it comes to battery life. As a consequence, one of the best ways to preserve the battery is to disable those services that can only be used with a very weak or intermittent signal.

Then you must have reasonably strong signals. Good for you. :)
    Jeff68005 likes this.
  10. lizm

lizm Well-Known Member

Ditto. I leave GPS on because I notice it only seems to come on (insofar as I can see it doing anything in my status bar up top) when an app calls it, like maps.

I usually have wi-fi on too but if I know I won't use it and battery matters, I shut it off.

I have yet to not make it through a day. I guess signals are strong around here.
  11. LNMoton

LNMoton Well-Known Member

Try using Juice Defender. It can help regulate the apps so you batter won't drain so quickly. Juice Defender works great for me!
    Jeff68005 likes this.