• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to turn off Data on a Motorola Droid 2 phone

cap2587

Jan 9, 2011
I am currently on a plan where I just have 200 MB of Data. I am wanting to turn off Data usage and am unsure the exact steps to do this. Below is what I have done.

I have gone into settings, battery and Data Manager, Data delivery. I have turned off Data enabled over mobile network, no data roaming and am not choosing to push email notification. I noticed the App Market requires background data to be turned on. Is there anything else to do to make sure I stays under 200 MB of Data. Thanks.

I am currently on a plan where I just have 200 MB of Data. I am wanting to turn off Data usage and am unsure the exact steps to do this. Below is what I have done.

I have gone into settings, battery and Data Manager, Data delivery. I have turned off Data enabled over mobile network, no data roaming and am not choosing to push email notification. I noticed the App Market requires background data to be turned on. Is there anything else to do to make sure I stays under 200 MB of Data. Thanks.

Hello cap.

That is not much data.. less than a quarter of a Gigabyte. I'd make sure the weather and social networking apps and all other widgets that auto sync, including Gmail, etc are set to manually sync on demand rather than polling the source for updates, which sucks up data.

Then I'd make sure wifi was being used as much as possible. If you don't have a wifi network at home, it'd pay in the long run to get a router and go for it, given your carrier/provider data plan being so meager.

You can also develop strategies and get apps which warn you when certain set limits are being approached:

How to: Disable Mobile Data Usage [Beginners' Guide] – Droid Life

Upvote 0
If you're rooted you could install Droid Wall, and use it to allow only certain apps access to mobile data - restricting other apps to Wifi only. Though 200MB may not sound like much when compared to postpaid plans, it's easy to stay within if you try, and realize there are some things you shouldn't be doing on mobile data if you want to stay within that limit.

I have no restrictions on mobile data use on my phone, and in the past 5 months my maximum monthly usage was 300MB, and my minimum was 70MB. I don't do anything special to achieve that, it's just my natural usage. But I don't browse Youtube or stream music on mobile data - I just get my email, sync my calendar, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones