• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to turn off Data

I KNEW I had read of a method to disable data, and I finally found the info. This is really cool stuff. :cool:

To disable data:

- Open dialer
- Dial *#*#4636#*#*
- Tap 'Phone Information'
- Press Menu button
- Tap on More
- Tap Disable data connection (Or, Disable data on boot. You could do that on the way TO work, then just reboot when you get to work.)

Simply reverse the steps to re-enable your data connection ... either immediately, or after your next reboot.
i wonder if someone wouldnt be willing to make an app to do this for a guy. I'd be willing to pay!

Upvote 0
Where in the world did you find that awesome trick at Joe?! :D

Using Google ... what else? ;)

i wonder if someone wouldnt be willing to make an app to do this for a guy. I'd be willing to pay!

I am trying desperately to stay OUT of the app-writing business, so don't look at me. You end-users are brutal. Have you not read some of the comments for free apps. Scary.

Upvote 0
I am trying desperately to stay OUT of the app-writing business, so don't look at me. You end-users are brutal. Have you not read some of the comments for free apps. Scary.
stupid question but whats an end user?

I got my wife an Eris when I bought my Droid and I can confirm that the Eris has a dedicated toggle for

Upvote 0
Went to Canada used *#*#6436#*#* to turn off data worked well had red triangle in notification bar which I assume meant data was off. When I got to Alaska tried to turn data on, got the red triangle to go away but 3g doesnt come back on. If I go back to phone info menu the enable data box is still there and pressing it changes nothing. Have tried everything rebooting in between and cant get 3g back. HELP! My smart phone is quite dumb without 3g.

Upvote 0
IDK if you can do it stock (I've been rooted for a long time) but if you go into settings>Wireless & Network settings>Mobile networks you can turn data on/off there. There is also and option for international and national roaming and what type of roaming to select. On my recent trip to Canada I just used this and had no problems. All I had to do is set my cellular to airplane mode to turn of the Cell signal and I was golden. Try turning yours back on there.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear that:(.
I've got UD 3.3.1 with a 1Ghz ULV kernel and love it. The bad thing is Blackdroid has disappeared off the forums and no one can seem to find him. It might be something in UD but it's not in the UD settings, that's why it might just be part of Gingerbread. Oh well I guess I'll have to wait a little longer or just switch to CM.

I hate to say it but you might have to do a Factory reset and restore you last backup (one before you lost 3G). If you haven't done that already. Corbinator is only one of my call signs, I also earned the title “Captain Obvious.”

Upvote 0
I KNEW I had read of a method to disable data, and I finally found the info. This is really cool stuff. :cool:

To disable data:

- Open dialer
- Dial *#*#4636#*#*
- Tap 'Phone Information'
- Press Menu button
- Tap on More
- Tap Disable data connection (Or, Disable data on boot. You could do that on the way TO work, then just reboot when you get to work.)

Simply reverse the steps to re-enable your data connection ... either immediately, or after your next reboot.

Thank you so so much for this, this is very useful for me when going on holiday, last time I went to Vegas and accidentally had my data on and cost me

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones