1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

How To Turn On 3G

1. 4mryooper

4mryooper Active Member

I've had my phone for a week now and am finally getting things set up the way I want. As a newbie, I know just about enough to be dangerous.
    I've been using WIFI with no problems. Now I need to comprehend 3G.
    I'm on the AT&T network and have the 200MB data plan.

1. How do I turn it on or enable it?

2. Why and when would I use it?

Thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. geeve420

geeve420 Well-Known Member

3G is a speed on the AT&T network, if you are in a 3G area it will default to it automatically. Can't really contorl off or on. When I am at work I have full 3G, at home in the country, not so much. so to answer the questions I guess:

1) It will turn itself on/off if you are in a 3G capable area it carries both voice and data

2) Not really up to you, it will be the area you are in.

Here is more detail on what it is:

3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Geeve
  3. 4mryooper

4mryooper Active Member

Thanks Geeve.

While researching, I read many posts about disabling the feature to save data time. Also read that the wireless settings under mobile networks should include the 3G option. My phone doesn't have the option. I know that 3G is available in my area but not sure exactly where.
  4. geeve420

geeve420 Well-Known Member

I see what you are driving at now! Take a look in the app market for a 3G Toggle, as far as I know the Captivate does not have this option from factory, but you can use 3rd party. You may be able to find one that will allow you to turn 3g off and on to control your data usage. :)

Geeve
  5. 4mryooper

4mryooper Active Member

Sorry, my initial inquiry was a bit broad or vague.

Through trial and error I found that turning off wifi and enabling "use packet data" enables 3G. I also downloaded the Quick Settings app which includes the on/off function for 3G, BT, etc. Now I have a better understanding of these functions.

My next app to tackle will be the GPS.
  6. Girevik

Girevik Well-Known Member

I use SMODA Widget for turning off 3G, and an ap called "3G Watchdog" is great for keeping track of your usage.
  7. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

If you're rooted, you can also use DroidWall to control which apps can send data.

You can also use TrafficStats to track what apps are using how much data.

With the 200MB plan you're definitely going to want to manage your data usage carefully.
  8. chocophile

chocophile Well-Known Member

If your phone is using Android 2.2 (Froyo), you don't need an app to turn 3G on/off. Press and hold the power button. This brings up the "phone options" menu. One of the choices is Data network mode. Pressing this toggles the setting between activated and deactivated.