• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] How to turn on CPU1 (=2nd core) Permanently

This method will permanently turn on CPU1 during the phone boot. (Don't worry you can restore easily)

By enabling CPU1, you may get slight performance increase on general phone usage (switching screen, accessing app drawer, open & close apps) and gaming (little better performance) by sacrificing the battery.

Whether it's really worth to do it is... highly doubtful and debatable. Some people say they notice the difference but others say they don't notice the performance increase and it's not worth to do it to sacrifice battery.

But who knows, it maybe different on LG F6 then LG Motion or Spirit. This is what Android rooting is for :) If you have rooted F6, go ahead and try it. You can restore very easily.

-- DIY method --

Your phone must be rooted.

1. Use your root text editor (I use Rom Tool Box's RB Editor), find init.qcom.post_boot.sh file @ /system/etc folder.

2. Make backup of the file (like init.qcom.post_boot.bk)

3. Open up the file. Scroll down until you see below lines @ case "$target" in "msm8960" coding block.

chown root.system /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
chown root.system /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/online
chown root.system /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu3/online
chmod 664 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
chmod 664 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/online
chmod 664 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu3/online

3. Insert echo 1 command and change chmod to 444

chown root.system /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
chown root.system /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/online
chown root.system /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu3/online
echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
chmod 444 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
chmod 664 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/online
chmod 664 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu3/online

4. Save the file. Reboot the phone.

5. Using CPU / Kernel app (I use Kernel Tuner), check if your CPU1 is online all the time. You may have to wait few seconds until phone goes to idle status.

6. If CPU1 is on all the time, you are good. Check various phone functions and battery consumption.

7. If you don't like this mod, simply change the modified init.qcom.post_boot.sh to something else then restore the pre-made back up init.qcom.post_boot.bk to .sh file.

-- Easy Method --

1. Download this file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B69dMfqyU4n9RVNhVGdjSXo1cGc/view?usp=sharing

2. Use your Root Explorer app, go to /system/etc

3. Back up your current init_qcom.post_boot.sh to something else (like init_qcom_post_boot.bk)

4. Copy & past the modified script file you just downloaded.

5. Restart phone.

6. Using CPU / Kernel app (like Kernel Tuner), check if your CPU1 is online all the time.

7. If CPU1 is on all the time, you are good. Check various phone functions and battery consumption.

8. If you don't like this mod, simply rename modified init.qcom.post_boot.sh then restore the premade back up init.qcom.post_boot.bk to .sh file.

-- Screen Shot --

After mod - CPU1 is on all the time.

2015-01-02-11_31_11%5B1%5D.png

Last edited:
So I'm a hypocrite, I am now running this mod lol is it possible to reduce cpu1's clock speed without reducing cpu0 clock speed as well.

I OC to 1.4ghz and would love for cpu1 to be maxed around 918000mhz instead.

Would this be possible?

Ummm... if there's an app that control max speed for each cpu that would be the best choice. But most of apps that I know only control global speed for whole CPU so.. .(like ROM Tool Box Pro) I am not sure..

If not, there should be some value that can be passed to CPU, this I haven't checked further yet.

In worst case, someone has to compile kernel from the scratch maxing CPU1's clock under 1Ghz.

Upvote 0
Thanks but I figured it out using init.d, with the help of another very helpful user(who's name i cant recall at this moment) it's great to keep it lower than cpu0 it gives me the snappier responses without the over clocking of both cores.

It's possible to keep the cores at different frequencies and even different governors.

Thanks man!!!

Upvote 0
Just wanted to add if you don't like this mod, replacing the init.qcom.post_boot.sh DOES NOT turn cpu1 back off, it continues to stay online all the time. I fixed this by editing /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online and deleting '1', changing to '0' and saving. You have to change permissions to 664 to fix it (rw_rw_r)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones