How to turn on Swype?Support

1. MikeCzipri

MikeCzipri Active Member

Got my Evo 3D about an hour ago...still going through it and tinkering...I see Swype available in the Language and Keyboards setting...but for some reason I can't figure out how to turn it on? The HTC "Trace" thing kinda sucks...anyone know how to turn Swype on?

Advertisement
    :
  2. SuperC142

SuperC142 Well-Known Member

If you long-press in any text box then pick "Input Method", I think you can change it from there. Hope this helps.
  3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I've been noticing a few glitches with my swype. The blue trace line stops showing up sometimes. I have to swap keyboards in and out to get it back. Another time, I could not get out of caps lock. The "shift" button wouldn't respond to my touch, but the rest of the keys would.
    DonB likes this.
  4. cobalt

cobalt Well-Known Member

The only way I found to do it was to enter the Swype tutorial, where the first thing it does is pop up this choice. Your way is better. :)

I still can't figure out what the Trace keyboard is supposed to be. I tried turning it on, but as far as I could tell, by itself that did nothing. :confused: And it seems to be totally independent of Swype.
  5. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

Thus the reason why I prefer and use Swiftkey

Silent Bob, CarrieK and marctronixx like this.
  6. SuperC142

SuperC142 Well-Known Member

Ha, thanks cobalt. [sigh] I wish I could try some of this stuff out, but I don't have my appointment at Sprint until 6:30 tonight. :-(

FYI: I use FlexT9 on my current phone and love it. I'll give swype a chance (when I get it), but I'll probably be switching back to FlexT9 because I honestly can't imagine there being a better keyboard.
  7. MikeCzipri

MikeCzipri Active Member

Found it. Trace is crizzap compared to Swype.
  8. shadders139

shadders139 Well-Known Member

does swype only come with the phone on US evo 3d's? i have a UK 3vo and can't seem to find it in my language and keyboard settings?

i do prefer swift key but i thought i'd try out swype
  9. mi6-bond

mi6-bond Well-Known Member

yes mate,the UK 3VO doesnt come with it pre loaded,however,simply go to the swype site(link at bottom) an register,you can allso upgrade swype this way too as i think pre loaded versions cant upgrade,mine works very well.
    Swype | Text Input for Screens
    shadders139 likes this.
  10. shadders139

shadders139 Well-Known Member

thank you :)
  11. adamc5739

adamc5739 Member

How do I get the swype keyboard? I heard its really good.
  12. SDRANGER619

SDRANGER619 Member

in the little window where it shows the text you type, press that blank area with your finger and hold for a couple seconds, a button will show and it will say input method. Press it and then select Swype.
    jerofld likes this.
  13. adamc5739

adamc5739 Member

Where is the window of what text I type? I can't find it.
  14. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

Any text box will work. If you open a web browser, where you enter text you can tap and hold there. Or open a search box or anything like that.
    adamc5739 likes this.
  15. adamc5739

adamc5739 Member

Ok thanks I found it and love it :)
  16. jmadero

jmadero Well-Known Member

hi All,

Trying to get Swype on my evo 3d, I know I had it before but I did a full factory reset awhile back and can't figure it out for the life of me. I have "swype" listed in languages & keyboard but can't actually select to use it anywhere. Thanks in advance

Edit: I don't want the htc "swype like" feature, I think it's not nearly as good
  17. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>} Guide

Hello and welcome to Android Forums.

If you long-press in any text box then pick "Input Method", you can change it from there.

Hope this helps. :)
    marctronixx likes this.
  18. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

Jer/Guides/Mods: Please add this question to the FAQ? (I searched a bit but didn't see it there... maybe I missed it.)

There is also a few other simple Q&A/FAQ type posts on the front page here in the past few days/weeks that would make good entries to the FAQ.

Thanks! :cool:
    EarlyMon likes this.
  19. jmadero

jmadero Well-Known Member

I knew it was something simple, thanks!
    marctronixx likes this.