How to turn on Swype?Support

Last Updated:

1. MikeCzipri

MikeCzipri Active Member

Got my Evo 3D about an hour ago...still going through it and tinkering...I see Swype available in the Language and Keyboards setting...but for some reason I can't figure out how to turn it on? The HTC "Trace" thing kinda sucks...anyone know how to turn Swype on?

Advertisement
  2. SuperC142

SuperC142 Well-Known Member

If you long-press in any text box then pick "Input Method", I think you can change it from there. Hope this helps.
  3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I've been noticing a few glitches with my swype. The blue trace line stops showing up sometimes. I have to swap keyboards in and out to get it back. Another time, I could not get out of caps lock. The "shift" button wouldn't respond to my touch, but the rest of the keys would.
    DonB likes this.
  4. cobalt

cobalt Well-Known Member

The only way I found to do it was to enter the Swype tutorial, where the first thing it does is pop up this choice. Your way is better. :)

I still can't figure out what the Trace keyboard is supposed to be. I tried turning it on, but as far as I could tell, by itself that did nothing. :confused: And it seems to be totally independent of Swype.
  5. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

Thus the reason why I prefer and use Swiftkey

Silent Bob, CarrieK and marctronixx like this.
  6. SuperC142

SuperC142 Well-Known Member

Ha, thanks cobalt. [sigh] I wish I could try some of this stuff out, but I don't have my appointment at Sprint until 6:30 tonight. :-(

FYI: I use FlexT9 on my current phone and love it. I'll give swype a chance (when I get it), but I'll probably be switching back to FlexT9 because I honestly can't imagine there being a better keyboard.
  7. MikeCzipri

MikeCzipri Active Member

Found it. Trace is crizzap compared to Swype.
  8. shadders139

shadders139 Well-Known Member

does swype only come with the phone on US evo 3d's? i have a UK 3vo and can't seem to find it in my language and keyboard settings?

i do prefer swift key but i thought i'd try out swype
  9. mi6-bond

mi6-bond Well-Known Member

yes mate,the UK 3VO doesnt come with it pre loaded,however,simply go to the swype site(link at bottom) an register,you can allso upgrade swype this way too as i think pre loaded versions cant upgrade,mine works very well.
    Swype | Text Input for Screens
    shadders139 likes this.
  10. shadders139

shadders139 Well-Known Member

thank you :)
  11. adamc5739

adamc5739 Member

How do I get the swype keyboard? I heard its really good.
  12. SDRANGER619

SDRANGER619 Member

in the little window where it shows the text you type, press that blank area with your finger and hold for a couple seconds, a button will show and it will say input method. Press it and then select Swype.
    jerofld likes this.
  13. adamc5739

adamc5739 Member

Where is the window of what text I type? I can't find it.
  14. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

Any text box will work. If you open a web browser, where you enter text you can tap and hold there. Or open a search box or anything like that.
    adamc5739 likes this.
  15. adamc5739

adamc5739 Member

Ok thanks I found it and love it :)
  16. jmadero

jmadero Well-Known Member

hi All,

Trying to get Swype on my evo 3d, I know I had it before but I did a full factory reset awhile back and can't figure it out for the life of me. I have "swype" listed in languages & keyboard but can't actually select to use it anywhere. Thanks in advance

Edit: I don't want the htc "swype like" feature, I think it's not nearly as good
  17. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>} Guide

Hello and welcome to Android Forums.

If you long-press in any text box then pick "Input Method", you can change it from there.

Hope this helps. :)
    marctronixx likes this.
  18. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

Jer/Guides/Mods: Please add this question to the FAQ? (I searched a bit but didn't see it there... maybe I missed it.)

There is also a few other simple Q&A/FAQ type posts on the front page here in the past few days/weeks that would make good entries to the FAQ.

Thanks! :cool:
    EarlyMon likes this.
  19. jmadero

jmadero Well-Known Member

I knew it was something simple, thanks!
    marctronixx likes this.