How to turn phone contacts into google conacts?

Last Updated:

1. no fit state

no fit state Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I thought it would be a simple case of syncing/exporting the phone contacts to my gmail account, but can't see this option?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Can't do it on the phone. You have to import into gmail in a csv file. I beleive there are apps on the market that will export to csv

no fit state likes this.
  3. SL4VE

SL4VE Well-Known Member

download GO Contacts sync. your phone will sync to outlook via HTC SYNC han you can use this to sync to gmail... WIN

4. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member

Export to the SD card. Then delete all phone contacts. The import from SD card, making sure you save them as google type.

Dead easy.

5. SL4VE

SL4VE Well-Known Member

Si will that process save the contacts exaxrly the same way they was on the phone. If so that is awesome.

6. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member

Yep all the info is saved. The only problem I have found with this method is that numbers beginning with a zero get changed to a strange format with dashes in e.g. 012-345-67891. It'll still work and dial properly in the UK though. If the number begins with a +44 it stays in the same format.

If having the dashes in the phone numbers bugs you, there is an easy way to remedy this (assuming you run a pc with windows). After exporting to the SD card, plug the phone into the computer via USB and put into disk mode. There should be a .vcf file on the SD card. Right click on this and open with notepad. Then go to the edit menu and select replace.
    In the find box put a "-" without the speech marks. Leave the replace box blank. You can then click on 'find next' and 'replace' until all your contacts are sorted. Or you could select 'replace all' but remember every dash will removed so it's worth checking if any email addresses have a dash in before you do this.

Once that's done you can save and close notebook, unmount your phone and remove from the usb and then import the contacts from SD as google type and all will be well :)

The only other thing you will have to do is link up the contacts to facebook etc again.

I hope that makes some sort of sense, I can break it down in smaller steps if not.