• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to Unlock the Bootloader, install recovery, and Root your HTC One S

I got all the way through your procedure and should be rooted. However, when I attempt to run Titanium Backup, I get an error message that reads:

"Sorry, I could not acquire root privileges. This application will *not* work! Please verify that your ROM is rooted and includes BusyBox and try again."

Attempting to use SuperSU also yields an error message:

"there is no su binary installed, and supersu cannot install it. this is a problem!"

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
Rooting your Phone

1. Download SuperSU (CWM-SuperSU-v0.88.zip) it is an attachment at the end of the post.
  2. Place the CWM-SuperSU-v0.88.zip on your phones internal memory. (Mount as disk drive, then copy/paste). Remember where you place this.
  3. On your phone, hold the power button down until the it powers off (10 seconds or so).
  4. Press Volume Down and Power to start the device into Bootloader mode.
  5. Highlight "Recovery" and press the Power button. (Use the Volume buttons to select up or down).
  6. To flash the .zip in recovery:
    • Select "install zip from sdcard".
    • Select "choose zip from sdcard".
    • Navigate to wherever you saved the file. Select the CWM-SuperSU-v0.87.zip.
    • Select "Yes - Install CWM-SuperSU-v0.88.zip".
    • Reboot your phone.

Your Phone is now rooted. :thumbup:

Be sure to check out this thread (One S: All Things Root Guide) for current root/ROM related info!

Did you do all of this? Did you update SU from the Play Store?

Reactions: agentc13
Upvote 0
They won't work if you're rooted. There are 2 work arounds. (1) Get a blank nandroid of the update and then backup your apps/data, "recover" the updated nandroid, restore your backup. Or (2) unroot and lock the stock bootloader, then update, re unlock, reroot. There is already a guide on how to do that in this forum.

The updated stock nandroid is the easier method, IMO. Here they are, made by setzer715 on XDA, hosted by me.

Links pulled, they break WiFi.

Upvote 0
I cant get the command prompt to find my files. I put the SDK in the exact directory you specified and I can even find them to verify when I go into my c drive. But I cant get command prompt to work for me. It keeps telling me that the file path is bad. I think i'm not utilizing the command prompt right though. When I open my command prompt it says c:\users\nathan right away. Is this supposed to be blank so i can type in the android sdk file path???? any help will be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Try this command...

cd ../..

...that should take you to "C:"

then try to go to your directory.

Edit: to get to your directory used the 'cd' command (change directory). so you would type 'cd android/android-sdk/platform-tools'

You may be able to do it in one step by typing 'cd c:/android/android-sdk/platform-tools'

Upvote 0
Ok I am having abnormal restarts, I followed the directions but 2 of the files were updated files.

for the android SDK it was 20.0.3 and to get fastboot you needed to have the android sdk manager download android sdk tools and then the folder
"c:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools" shows up.

Ok no big deal continue on ... then the SU ... it is version 0.96 not 0.88 could not find .88. this is where I should have stopped there is a disclaimer.

"ZIP does not work on all devices, needs fix."
Should have stopped. I did not think this would cause problems. But who am I to say...I have root access and all but the abnormal restarts are bothering me.

2 restarts last night as I began resetting up the phone -- dismissed as I was restarting a lot, one last night as I slept.

I went with CWM recovery as I have used it before.

Also I did factory resets before and after procedures.
Trying to give as much info as possible. But that is all I think.

The phone seems to have one abnormal restart .. that I can make happen. If I reboot and go to recovery then as the phone starts into normal mode after recovery, it gets to where it is loading home screen and then reboots, and then seems pretty normal after that. I will let you know if I recognize a reason it does abnormal resets during normal operation.

Upvote 0
Did you restore all your apps + date or did you install them fresh from the Play Store?

I installed fresh, just in case.

However for an update, the abnormal resets have not continued. I can make it happen as I stated in an earlier post, but if I do not go to recovery then the phone seems fine now.

Battery life seems shorter after root though, I am wondering if any of the problems with the different files could be causing some service to run over time.

Upvote 0
so i did everything and got to the point where i installed clockwork mod . as soon as i got it i rebooted then i turned it back on and it took me to the clockwork mod recovery so i backed up and then put reboot but as soon as i put reboot it shuts off but turned back one and takes me back to the clockworkmod recovery. how do i get out of it?? please help!

Upvote 0
I recently purchased the HTC One S, I've rooted android phones before and I'm currently having an issue with the identifier token, while I'm trying to get the unlock code, the identifier token isn't being accept by the HTC website, I've tried re doing the fastboot multiple times and its telling me that the identifier code is too long and i've copied it just the same way as it says in the guide.

Upvote 0
NOOOOOOOO! Whats going on with my phone now?

I followed the steps:
http://androidforums.com/one-s-all-...otloader-install-cwm-root-your-htc-one-s.html

I got down to the end of the CWM installation and I followed the last step of it which suggested making a Nandroid backup / restore and thats what I have done.

Now I can't restart my phone and wind up with a ROM. It just boots to the ClockworkMod Recovery screen and if I click reboot system now it just goes back to ClockworkMod again.

I tried going to backup and restore>restore>2012 - 11.12.19.01.02 but once it "restored" it just went back to ClockworkMod Recovery screen.

Please help :( my phone is useless at the moment. BTW this is a HTC One S (s4 - tmobile)

Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/one-s-all-...r-install-recovery-root-your-htc-one-s-2.html

I followed the instructions all the way until the end of the Clockwork Recovery installation. I then proceeded to do the Nandroid backup and restore like the tutorial suggested.

Now the problem is that I cant get out of Clockwork Recovery! If i select reboot system now, it will just reboot flicker once or twice and go back to CWM. If I go to backup and restore>restore> and restore the backup that I had, it will do the same restart and go back to CWM.

What is going on? I'm on my HTC One S (tmobile s4) This is so frustrating because everything worked fine until now!

Upvote 0
I rooted my S4 using Hasoon's all-in-one kit V2.0 and it seemed to go ok - this is the first device I've ever rooted.

The reason I did it was to enable me to get rid of the original carrier (O2) boot screen and I was advised on another forum that I'd need to root the phone in order to do this.

Anyway, I've installed Solid Explorer fm but I still can't see where the file is for the O2 screen.

Can you help please???

Upvote 0
Rooting your Phone

Select "Yes - Install CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip".

Your Phone is now rooted. :thumbup:

Be sure to check out this thread (One S: All Things Root Guide) for current root/ROM related info!

I received the following warning when I tried to install the CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip.
"This operation may install incompatible software and render your device unusable".
This is normal at this time, move on, or I made a mistake somewhere?
So far, everything went smoothly (unlock, recovery)
what next .....

someone please help,
thanks

Upvote 0
I have an HTC one s with the s4 processor. I successfully unlocked the boot loader and installed the clockwork recovery. I now can only boot into recovery. If i press power it boots to recovery. I can't mount the storage to my computer to flash a rom and restoring my backup doesn't work. Please help I'm worried my phone is broken

Upvote 0
I see Agentc13 verified that this works with 4.0.3 but I was wondering if it will work with Android 4.0.4
It shouldn't matter what software version your phone has. As long as you can unlock the bootloader (through htc dev), this will work fine.

I have an HTC one s with the s4 processor. I successfully unlocked the boot loader and installed the clockwork recovery. I now can only boot into recovery. If i press power it boots to recovery. I can't mount the storage to my computer to flash a rom and restoring my backup doesn't work. Please help I'm worried my phone is broken

Try flashing TWRP recovery and see if you still have the issues. Most of the reports of this that I remember seeing involve ClockworkMod Recovery (maybe the recovery is the issue?).

Upvote 0
Rooting your Phone

1. Download SuperSU (CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip) it is an attachment at the end of the post.
  2. ...
Your Phone is now rooted.

Hi, before I (a confused newb) go and do the actual rooting - thanks to your great tutorial -, I would like to understand what the term 'rooted device' is referring to. In your case, I guess it means having 'su' installed and working. I am asking this, because if I follow the link to SuperSU, there they say "!!! SuperSU requires a rooted device !!!". A number of Apps on Google Play say that, and I though so far, they all require the su program to be installed. In the case of SuperSU, this looks like a cat chasing its tail, if they aren't at least two meanings of rooting.

Thanks for your clarification!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones