1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

How to unlock the Nexus 10's bootloader

Last Updated:

1. adi19956

adi19956 Well-Known Member

No, I didn't do this one, but Andrew Martonik from Android Central did!

You can find the guide here

Advertisement
    Atma likes this.
  2. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Sames as the Nexus 7 if I remember right. This will be fun. :)
  3. The_Superhoo

The_Superhoo Well-Known Member

I'm having alot of trouble with this, though I feel it should be easy. Can anyone help?
  4. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

What kind of problem are you having?
  5. The_Superhoo

The problem of having no idea what I was doing haha. I figured it out using a few different sites tho. I didnt find the Android Central process very enlightening.

I used these:

How to Unlock and Re-lock Bootloader on Nexus 10 [Guide] - IBTimes UK - For overall directions

How to Set Up ADB / Fastboot with Android SDK for Any Andorid Device | Team Android - to set up drivers and fastboot

Once I found these two sites (and looked up how to navigate in the command prompt. it's been awhile since I did that lol), I had NO problem. Was super easy then! I've got "UNLOCKED!"
    Atma likes this.
  6. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Great! I'll probably be doing mine this evening. :)

I hope Wugfresh has his toolkit compatible with it soon.
  7. The_Superhoo

hmmm i hope i didnt screw it up....it gave me the prompt to unlock bootloader and everything. and in the bootloader it showed as unlocked.

when i restart the tablet, it shows "GOOGLE" as usual, with a little unlocked padlock at the bottom. then goes to the Nexus "X" and the X lights up with the colors moving around.....for a while....and doesnt do anything else....

I can reset it to the bootloader, but not sure what to do from there...
  8. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

I was reading through one of those threads, try this:

idic likes this.
  9. The_Superhoo

I did all of that up to holding Power and Volume Up. At that point I have the openchested Android guy and it says "Downloading... Do not turn off target !!"

Not sure what it would be downloading or from where... Kind of afraid to reset it while it says that though
  10. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

It always says that in that screen. Its won't be downloading anything unless you tell it to accept an OTA update or your loading one from your computer.

I'm getting ready to leave work. I'll be back on later if you still need help.
    The_Superhoo likes this.
  11. The_Superhoo

There's no menu choices after I press Power/Volume Up from the red triangle. No way to choose Wipe Data/Factory...
  12. The_Superhoo

Ok so I figured out what to do since I couldnt get the wipe data/factory choice from the bootloader/recovery

I used the steps linked below for the N7 (minus the last couple that are for re-locking the bootloader), replacing the filenames for the N10 where needed. Worked pretty quick and I'm for sure back up and running as I'm re-setting up my N10 now! Pretty tense hour or so for me! haha

How to Hard Reset a Bricked Nexus 7 With Your PC
  13. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

I figured it out after I got mine. When your in the bootloader screen, use the volume buttons to cycle through options and select recovery. You see it changing in the top left corner. Use the power button to select recovery. At the next screen where it says 'no command' I think, hold down the power button and push the right volume button. That will take you to the stock recovery.
  14. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Finally got mine unlocked. It was driving me crazy trying to find developer options and usb debugging. I finally found the 'easter egg'.
  15. Caveman419

Caveman419 Well-Known Member

Is everyone just using the su.zip from rooting the Nexus 7?
  16. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

I haven't rooted mine yet. I was waiting on WugFresh to update his Nexus Root Toolkit. You would need to install a recovery first and then flash SU.

Here is a thread explaining and another with a video.
  17. Caveman419

I just have not seen a su.zip put out for the Nexus 10 yet. I saw that CWM has a working recovery out there as of last night. I have rooted all of my devices in the past except for my Note 10.1 and Google TVs. I love the ease of the Nexus devices...no hoops to jump through.
  18. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

I haven't either, but it looks like its included in the zip file. I just downloaded it and it looks like its SuperSU-v0.98.
  19. Caveman419

I guess that might be my deeper question...are the binaries installed automatically if I pull the app directly out and push with ADB?
  20. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

It looks that's the way it works. I think I'll hold off for a few days. There is a new CWM and TWRP recoveries out, but it looks like both is causing random reboots.
    chiph411 and Caveman419 like this.
  21. Caveman419

I had seen that the "unofficial" CWM was causing there reboots but did not see the official on was. I will wait till they get the TWRP one working....starting to like that one better.
  22. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Me too. I love TWRP! :D
  23. Caveman419

I just when back to try it again when I put 4.2 on my GNex. Has some great features over CWM.
  24. idic

idic Well-Known Member

I had this exact issue, and flashing the factory image through fastboot didn't help, only a factory reset through recovery worked.

(Hold all 3 buttons to get to bootloader, then use volume keys to get to recovery mode, power button to select. When you see android on his back hold power button and tap volume button briefly to get the recovery menu up - a few people, myself included, had trouble getting this to work first time!)

Did you get yours unlocked in the end? Nervous about trying again until there's more in stock in case anything goes wrong again...

Anyone else have this problem? I've had many Nexus devices and never run into this problem before...
  25. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

I had no problem unlocking but had the boot problem. A factory reset fixed it no problem. I've seen many others have the same issue but a factory reset has fixed all the ones I have seen.