• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How-to | Unrevoked Forever | Stock 2.1 to Stock 2.2 ROOTED

That's fine and dandy if you want to flash your Rom. This method also let's people keep root. There are many people who prefer this method.
Yes, the end result is the same. But why would we want to push a non-rooted ROM and then have to re-root the phone?

Flashing a rooted stock ROM is the preferred way to receive an update for rooted users. Time and time again, we see people accept OTAs which cause all sorts of confusion and problems, including bricked phones. Even though this particular update CAN be flashed and re-rooted, I will never encourage this practice. Plus, rooted versions of ROMs typically come out immediately after the OTA update is released, sometimes even before.

I just want people to get to the endpoint quickly and with least risk. I don't mean to derail your thread, but it's important for people to know of alternative methods, especially in this case where flashing a rooted ROM is the best practice.

Upvote 0
novox- I am interested in the kernel that you are talking about but not sure how to install it. I am currently as you have answered on my other posts rooted before this most recent 9-22 ota update. I am not sure if I should just follow BenHoltz steps from 10 and on (so I don't have to whipe phone) install the odex *stock rooted 3.29.651.5* (OR WHAT difference that way of installing is from benholtz method) or just from where I'm currently at going to that custom kernel you recommending. I am pretty n00bish I would say but headed on my way to beginner level. If anyone could give me a hand I would appreciate it. I just did a titanium backup and a NAND backup so when I decide which way to go I'll be safe.

Upvote 0
Yes, the end result is the same. But why would we want to push a non-rooted ROM and then have to re-root the phone?

Flashing a rooted stock ROM is the preferred way to receive an update for rooted users. Time and time again, we see people accept OTAs which cause all sorts of confusion and problems, including bricked phones. Even though this particular update CAN be flashed and re-rooted, I will never encourage this practice. Plus, rooted versions of ROMs typically come out immediately after the OTA update is released, sometimes even before.

I just want people to get to the endpoint quickly and with least risk. I don't mean to derail your thread, but it's important for people to know of alternative methods, especially in this case where flashing a rooted ROM is the best practice.

Guess this post answers my question on getting rooted to the newest OTA. I also concur with you in your observation of not trying to sound like a jerk to his thread and I'm sure he did his homework on it. You all know so much it's crazy..

My main thing is I'm a bit lazy and don't feel like doing a whipe on phone. oxed* recommends a phone whipe :(

Upvote 0

So if I flash the rooted OTA, will I have to wipe all my data and restore everything like if I was flashing a brand new rom?

Upvote 0
So if I flash the rooted OTA, will I have to wipe all my data and restore everything like if I was flashing a brand new rom?

If you are running a stock rooted ROM now, you do NOT need to wipe when flashing a newer rooted stock ROM. These OTA updates are designed to upgrade you around your apps and settings.

This has always been the case: froyo, 3.28.x, and the current 3.29.x.

If you are currently running a custom ROM, like CM6, Baked Snack, Fresh, Virus, etc, you WILL need to wipe.

If you were good about keeping your old nandroids, you probably have a rooted stock nandroid somewhere. Restore that one and then flash the new rooted Stock. That way most of your apps will be there (to the point when you did the nandroid backup of your old rooted stock).

Upvote 0
If you are running a stock rooted ROM now, you do NOT need to wipe when flashing a newer rooted stock ROM. These OTA updates are designed to upgrade you around your apps and settings.

This has always been the case: froyo, 3.28.x, and the current 3.29.x.

If you are currently running a custom ROM, like CM6, Baked Snack, Fresh, Virus, etc, you WILL need to wipe.

If you were good about keeping your old nandroids, you probably have a rooted stock nandroid somewhere. Restore that one and then flash the new rooted Stock. That way most of your apps will be there (to the point when you did the nandroid backup of your old rooted stock).

If the method you explain is soo flawless, Please do post links to the instructions. Until I can confirm that flashing to new "stock" roms via some method that you are going to show me (without losing apps and data), my method stands as the best method for my needs and many others' too.

Upvote 0
Your root method is very good, but my style is the best!

2554112713_2e97a0c14d_b.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones