How to unroot a Hero?

Last Updated:

1. Epsilon

Epsilon Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys.
    I rooted my phone a while back and have been having fun installing custom roms.
    But now i want to try the new update.
    So I reverted back to my first nandroid back up.
    And tried to install the pre update package (4mb). I get the Update OTA. I restarts and goes to the Android install screen (I don't know if that's the right name for it, it's the screen that you access after holding home on start up).

Do you think this is because the phone is still rooted?
    Does anyone know how to fix this?

Regards
    Epsilon

P.s: Sorry for the bad English, i'm from Norway :)

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

You won't be able to install OTA updates unless you switch back to the old recovery menu. (You should have backed it up when you used flashrec). You should bear in mind that you won't be able to root the official 2.1 firmware unless another exploit is found in the new firmware.

But why do you want to try the new update? The first OTA update, the only one out at the moment, doesn't really change anything. It's still plain ol' 1.5

Besides, custom ROMs are all based on the real official 2.1 now.

3. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Just backing up what Xyro said, you really don't want to be going back to stock. The VillainROM 10 is based off of the offical HTC GSM Hero update but will allow you to still be rooted and install any future ROMs like 2.2 as it's not very likely HTC will release an offical 2.2 update for the Hero.

4. PatBateman

PatBateman Active Member

Didn't realise that, thanks. I've been considering 'unrooting' mine to put the official ROM on ready for the 2.1 update. Now I'll just put VillainROM 120 on when I can be bothered!