1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

How to: Unroot the Galaxy Nexus, Re-lock the Bootloader and Return to a Factory State

1. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ # Moderator

I would be interested in seeing the specific files and commands for this too.
  2. esmith818

esmith818 Well-Known Member

civicsisedan likes this.
  3. civicsisedan

civicsisedan Well-Known Member

Yes this...

Thanks, that thread should be STICKIED!!
    Mahalo likes this.
  4. civicsisedan

alright doing it now...

this should be stickied...

Easy as pie....

Thanks!!
    soy.lor.n likes this.
  5. civicsisedan

Yeahha 2nd post...

it should say

adb reboot bootloader
    fasboot oem lock

not adb reboot blootloader
    Yeahha likes this.
  6. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

Thanks! Fixed now
  7. soy.lor.n

soy.lor.n Well-Known Member

ok...upon looking into this a little more I have a question.

Am I supposed to extract the file containing the image twice? It starts as a tgz, then when I extract it it's a tar, and if I extract THAT I get a folder containing the image-mysid-icl53f.zip plus the other .img files that are needed.

I think maybe I answered my own question.... But if that's not right, someone lemme know please!
  8. Yeahha

I added a link in the SA's locked All things root guide to this thread under general guides.
    scary alien likes this.
  9. Yeahha

You are correct, you have to extract twice :D
    soy.lor.n likes this.
  10. soy.lor.n

OK and one more that's actually a legitimate noob question.

What state is our phone supposed to be in to do this?

Should it be on or off?

Should USB debugging be turned on?

From reading the comments on this page I'm assuming ON and ON?
  11. BringTheRain403

BringTheRain403 Well-Known Member

It should be on (just like when you are ready to make a phone call) and when you run the first command "adb reboot bootloader" it puts it into the bootloader or if you are completely bricked I assume you can just start from the bootloader...
  12. soy.lor.n

Alright, done and done

THANK YOU guys so much!!
  13. Mr. Orange 645

Mr. Orange 645 Well-Known Member

I keep getting an error in bootloader stating cannot load bootloader-toro-primekk15.img

Any help?
  14. Mr. Orange 645

Mr. Orange 645 Well-Known Member

Ok...I got that issue figured out. For some reason, even though my paths were correct, it wouldn't work from platform-tools. I extracted the sdk-tools mini folder, placed my files there and ran my commands through that path, and it worked.
  15. BringTheRain403

BringTheRain403 Well-Known Member

Were you using vista or windows 7? Maybe you needed to run it as administrator?
  16. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ # Moderator

Agreed. Its also likely that many users will be accepting OTA updates through Google which will always keep our radio updated. With an unlocked bootloader, its not a worry like it is on many other devices that rely on exploits that may get patched via OTA. Even thinking about roms...we are on the leading edge here with the newest android version. Most roms are going to be based off what we get as stock. So why needlessly flash partitions, especially the radio which is the most apt to cause problems? I think this topic need more discussion. It may just be that we would be best served to throw out what we know...full wipes...and focus on targeted wipes? Idk, I'm still learning here too but I'm finding that fastboot is a powerful tool and moving forward with caution may be beneficial.
    Yeahha likes this.
  17. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Yeahha, are your instructions 100% correct? I have to do that now and return this pos for another.
  18. Yeahha

Bjanow they should be correct. Be aware that there is a possibility unrooting will not remove all traces of root.
  19. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Something I'll have to live with I guess. But your instructions are golden, right?
  20. Yeahha

Yeah they should work fine. You may have superuser installed after you unroot.
    bjanow likes this.
  21. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

ok I'll uninstall it then, thanks. Doing a Tib and cwr now, then giving it a go.
  22. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

I think we're good now re. this...

I flashed back to stock about 8 times this weekend... For the first 7 times, I kept re-signing back-in during the activation / setup part and saw that my apps had mysteriously reappeared. I was also re-applying the root package via ClockworkMod at times, so I was putting those pieces back manually (and, of course, you can't examine the /data/app directory to see what's there without being rooted--a small catch-22).

I believe this occurred because Android was auto-downloading my apps.

On the last time I flashed back to stock, I skipped the sign-in part and there were no sign of my old apps.

I would just re-lock and unlock the bootloader, flash back to stock (skip the sign-in part of the activation / setup), and finally, re-lock the bootloader one last time before returning.

I also think you can skip re-flashing the radio and bootloader if you haven't changed them...

Cheers!
    woodstorm, bjanow and Yeahha like this.
  23. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Done, thanks guys. No trace of superuser afaik. Off the the vzw store now.

Edit: I got a new phone, rerooted, installed cwr, restored my old backup, back to where I was an hour ago. Once again, thanks guys for the great support.
    soy.lor.n and scary alien like this.
  24. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

Mahalo, bjanow and Yeahha like this.
  25. jdowney88

jdowney88 Member

So if I follow the steps in post #3 to unroot, this will allow me to get OTA updates? Then I can root again and be back where I was with but with an update?