How to update epic?

Last Updated:

1. mrfubar

mrfubar Member

Ok please don't harass me too much but I'm brand new to trying to update my epic. I managed to update it once in the past and have since then lost all bearings on what I need to do.

Currently my epic 4g is running android 2.3.4. It has been. Experiencing several small issues that are starting to grow more pronounced lately. things like turning off on its own, volume not going down, screen locking, etc.

So, remember I'm a complete noob, how do I bring my epic up to date? There are things I've noticed, like increased battery life and overall performance, that have made me glad I jumped to gingerbread but lately it has been getting buggy.

What is the latest version of GB?
    How do I update to it from 2.3.4? (software needed etc)
    Then which rom is best to put on it? I've heard cleanGB and would like to try it.

I tried to watch the cleanGB video but it assumed I had already had all of this other software which I don't. I'd like to take my phone, while it completely clean, update it, run cleanGB, and root it. Possible?

Thanks a million!

2. mrfubar

mrfubar Member

3. SDRANGER619

SDRANGER619 Member

If you're suffering those issues, it's probably best to take it to a sprint store to have them take a look. Most likely they will do a factory reset. sometimes that fixes everything.
  4. Epicurean

Epicurean Well-Known Member

You might want to consider going through a factory reset, then it will automatically update to the latest Gingerbread. Make sure you save your contacts and make a list of your installed apps; you will have to re-install them and you will lose all your data.

I say this because if it doesn't work, your next step is to bring it to the Sprint store and the first thing they are going to do is (you guessed it) a factory reset. So instead of taking it to them unprepared, you might want to do it yourself and save the hassle.

Note: factory reset and backup techniques are documented extensively elsewhere so I will not go into it here. I only suggest it in case you haven't already considered the idea.
  5. mrfubar

mrfubar Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to finally throw in the towel and get the new HTC phone coming out.

One question. if the software isn't the original software on the phone will it void the trade-in? Right now they said they'd give me $60 for it so I wanted to just reset it all and hand it over.