• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to update Games?

Hey all,

Have rescently purchased Fishing Kings from the gameloft website (awesome btw:cool:) But as it isnt on the market and doesnt show in my list of installed apps in there how am I able to get updates?:thinking:

Thanks

Most people don't know what their talking about and like to spread FUD when it comes to Gameloft.

In the latest batch of games, the last 11 or so Gameloft added the ability for games to check for updates and download them if an update is found.

Fishing Kings is part of the latest batch of games and will update if one is pushed out.

Upvote 0
Gameloft doesn't really update their games once they've sold it to you. If there's a particular bug that you know they've fixed in a newer version, you may be able to get their support to send you the new version, but unless you're rooted you might not be able to transfer your save data.

Save data is typically stored on your SD Card\Gameloft\(name of game)

Upvote 0
You can't unless they use some sort of licensing system that verifies you that way. I.e. you have some paid license now, and can download the trial from the market which will convert to full.

Thats why you should generally think twice before buying outside of the market :(

Buying from the market is no guarantee. Ask anyone who bought NFS Shift on Verizon to find their game purchase removed. In it's place is the same game at a higher price that needs to be bought again to be played. EA support has proved to be useless, Gameloft has responded to everyone of my inquires. Which makes them the safer bet as far as I'm concerned.

Upvote 0
Speaking of people who don't know what they're talking about...

Save data is typically stored on your SD Card\Gameloft\(name of game)

No, it is not. That is where the game's downloaded assets are stored, and those are indeed easily transferable. Save data, on the other hand, is stored in the protected NAND /data/data folder. So is gameloft's DRM "cookie," which you will need to manually delete using Root Explorer or ADB if said DRM decides to trigger off a firmware change or a game reinstall. This is presumably there to prevent people from easily sharing games or saves using backup software, and it is a pain in the ***.

I've had to deal with this crap with no less than four of gameloft's (some fairly recent) games. GL support wasn't any help, they said my saves were as good as gone.

Upvote 0
Speaking of people who don't know what they're talking about...

No, it is not. That is where the game's downloaded assets are stored, and those are indeed easily transferable. Save data, on the other hand, is stored in the protected NAND /data/data folder. So is gameloft's DRM "cookie," which you will need to manually delete using Root Explorer or ADB if said DRM decides to trigger off a firmware change or a game reinstall. This is presumably there to prevent people from easily sharing games or saves using backup software, and it is a pain in the ***.

I've had to deal with this crap with no less than four of gameloft's (some fairly recent) games. GL support wasn't any help, they said my saves were as good as gone.

Just as you said, recent games and as I said typically as in not all of them.

All of their older games store the save data just where I said it did, on your sd card. Their more recent titles have moved the save data.

With many of their recent games the save data is associated with the APK and stored on the internal memory. If you clear data from within manage applications in the settings it will delete the save data. This seems to be the case but as I have nothing to do with Gameloft or their games I'm not 100% certain.

I'm also not certain how this would be an issue to many people. I would suggest to anyone who flashes often to use of Titanium Backup which will allow you to keep your saves.

But there is one thing I am certain about and that is you are a jerk.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones