How to update htc hero (orange) to latest android version

Last Updated:

1. jboy

jboy Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    i'm new to the forums and just want to ask a few questions about my updating my htc hero.

Basic info
    Fireware version: 1.5
    Build number:2.73.61.5 146733
    Software version:1.0.0.A6288

1) i am guessing that the fireware 1.5 means the android operating system right? if that is the incase how do i go about upgrading my phone so i can get the latest android operating system?

2) I have also read that orange have a rom update for my phone aswell. How do i go about installing that? and is it worth doing it?

3) if i do upgrade the phone etc, i have read it that it deletes most things on your phone, is there a way of saving all my data so i don't have to insert my contacts 1 by 1 and download all my apps etc?

Thanks in advance
    your help is appreciated
    jboy

Advertisement
  2. PXUmais

PXUmais Member

1) Android are bringing out 2.1 on Hero later, so you are going to have to wait for an update on that

2) The only thing the noticeable in the new .66 rom update is that it now lets you unlock the phone, other then that it also for some odd reason has been reported to remove some of the paid apps from the market. There is no speed increase so updating won't do much.

Edit: If you do choose to update to .66 then go to the htc website then to the support section and find the hero from the list of phones. It should display the orange rom update somewhere near the top. Follow the instructions on the page and TADA
    Link:http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportDownload.aspx?p_id=283&cat=2&dl_id=864

3) You can reinstall apps through the applications section and for your contacts just search for an app that can transfer them to your memory card or just use astro (the file manager) to back up your apps since it has this as an inbuilt function

Go here for more info: How to backup Android (and HTC Hero) phone | Backup HowTo

3. jboy

jboy Member This Topic's Starter

Ok thanks a lot for your help, Just another quick question

When will i know that android 2.1 is available for the hero?
    is there a website to look?

Thanks in advance
    Jboy

4. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

I would say this site for news.
    And the HTC site for downloading 2.1

5. boilerhouse

boilerhouse Active Member

LOL.. somehow I think you will definetly know from this forum when it has been released! ;)

6. rdelfin

rdelfin Well-Known Member

The most consistent reports indicate that end of March is when this will START to become available, which for us mortals in the real world, we're talking about first half of April, specially in your case (remember that carrier-based Heros get their upgrades later than the unlocked carrier-independent Heros).

7. simplysquare

simplysquare Well-Known Member

3) You can reinstall apps through the applications section and for your contacts just search for an app that can transfer them to your memory card or just use astro (the file manager) to back up your apps since it has this as an inbuilt function

Go here for more info: How to backup Android (and HTC Hero) phone | Backup HowTo[/quote]

You are a godsend!! this has got to be the easiest way to back your apps up. no rooting, no partitioning just a simple copy and past in one go! brilliant!

Can now officially say ASTRO is a MUST HAVE application! if you dont have it, seriously get it! it will mean that if you need to factory reset your phone all will not be lost and you wont have to reinstall all your apps! (just make sure you take your memory card out when you do reset the phone!)

8. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

LOLOLOL

Just one thing, why take out SD card, thought it only effected internal memory?

9. Garybrazier

Garybrazier Member

I think you are correct. I just up reved my Rom and used Astro to store aps on SD card. I didn't remove SD card before revising ROM and no problems.
    Just waiting for my unlock code to arrive from e-bay:mad:

10. huddie

huddie Member