• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to update non-Market downloaded apps?

Is there a way to update apps that weren't directly downloaded from the Market?

A friend gave me the Weather channel app without the ads. He gave me the .apk installer file.

Now that I have the Weather channel app that I didnt get from the store, therefore not in "My Downloads" section of the market, how do I update it?

There must be a simple fix, but i could seem to track it down on the forums.

thanks.

so, in aTrackdog when I go to update an app it asks me if I want to install from the market. Now since the Weather channel app I have I didnt pay for or get from the Market, Will I be charged for it?

EDIT: okay, I see what it does. It brings you directly to the Market where you complete the update yourself.

Is there a way where I can have the Weather channel app show up in the "My Downloads" section of the market? Or at least update directly from the version i have?

Upvote 0
ya. I like to think I'm not that much of a cheapskate to avoid 2 bucks. I'm just curious and trying to figure a few things out.

Here's a question I have, When you get an app from the Market does the process go like this?
- .apk file is downloaded to your phone
- installer runs and installs files in proper directories
- .apk file is trashed

Upvote 0
ya. I like to think I'm not that much of a cheapskate to avoid 2 bucks. I'm just curious and trying to figure a few things out.

Here's a question I have, When you get an app from the Market does the process go like this?
- .apk file is downloaded to your phone
- installer runs and installs files in proper directories
- .apk file is trashed
A.K.A. ... uhhh oh no no i would never do that .. but if someone were too ..

Upvote 0
The legitimate use for the info in this thread is that I have backed up all my apps when I had to take my Samsung Moment to the Sprint store to get updated (no OTA updates right now). The update completely wiped out my phone and made it as it was on day one. I have restpred all my apps from a backup, but none appear in the "My Download" section. Yes, I could go download them all again, but if there were an easier way to get them into "My Download" so I'd be notified of updates, that would be way cool.

Reactions: salunte84
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones