How to update SPrecovery 99.1b to 99.2b

1. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

So I used the Droid Root Helper to complete part of my rooting process. It was super easy and worked perfectly.

Only problem is that the Droid Root Helper installs SirPsychos Recovery 99.1b and some ROMs and modifications (like Taz's OCs) require 99.2b.

Up until a few minutes ago the only way I was finding to update the recovery loader was by using ADB. The whole reason I used the root tools was because I couldn't get the ADB working on my MAC. Well I just found a solution that doesn't require the computer at all. (except maybe to download the recovery.img)

This tutorial is assuming you are all rooted and had no problems but are using SPrecovery 99.1b.

1) Get ahold of the 99.2b version of the SPrecovery.img It can be found at sholes.info

2) Put that on the root of your SD Card

3) Download Terminal Emulator off the market. (I used Android Terminal Emulator because 'Terminal Emulator' wouldn't work for me.)

4)Type the following commands into Terminal Emulator. (do not type quotation marks) Hit return between lines.
    "su"
    "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.2b.img"
    "reboot recovery"

Now my phone got a little hung up for maybe 15 seconds and didn't actually reboot until I had gotten antsy and hit my home button. But it all worked anyways.

If it works you should reboot into SPrecovery and notice the version number as 99.2b.

For full disclosure I blatantly stole this from a post by justinc101011 over at droidforums. But I know androidforums isn't too keen on just cross posting to another forum on the first post in the thread. If justin posts in here too I hope he doesn't mind that I cross pollenated the forums.

Advertisements
    :
  2. VtotheZ

VtotheZ Well-Known Member

Nice write up, I hate ADB it didnt even work for me because my stupid computer needed like drivers or something when I put my phone in USB debugging mode. It was weird but this what I did to get the latest recovery. Thanks for the info!

3. Vanteal

Vanteal Well-Known Member

How can you tell if you have the 99.2b version of the SPrecovery? and not the 99.1b?

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

5. Vanteal

Vanteal Well-Known Member

thanks for the visual aid john..I acquired the 10.1 file and followed the instructions on how to apply it..But when I do it, it says file not found..I put the 10.1 file on the root of my droid...Any suggestions!?

Nevermind, I just typed it in wrong!..

6. drgonzo

Does anyone know when 10.1 was released? I haven't seen it mentioned in any guides before.

I feel a bit like a fool now. But regardless the process should work with the 10.1 so long as you type the right file name into the terminal emulator.

7. VtotheZ

VtotheZ Well-Known Member

Have the developers started requiring this yet? Or are we still good at 992b?

8. luniz7

luniz7 New Member

9. drgonzo

Alright so SPRecovery 0.10.2 was released on December 15th, 2009. SPRecovery 0.99.2b was released on January 8th, 2010.

I wish I had looked into that before flashing 0.10.2 over 0.99.2b ::sigh::

Well now I'm gonna go re-flash 99.2b.

Regardless the process I outlined above worked in both cases.

10. tastethealex

tastethealex New Member

I used droid root helper to install busybox and flash_image. I also used it to install 99.1b and it says that I has installed properly. However, when entering boot recovery, nothing has changed.

I downloaded "recovery-0.99.2b.img" and placed it in my root directory

When I enter "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.2b.img" all I seem to get is "flash_image: not found"

Please help. Thanks.

11. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

yeah, I goofed and linked to the wrong thread, and then also flashed that incorrect version on to my phone - figured this out after I tried to make a Nandroid restore and there is no nandroid restore lol.

Thanks for catching me in a faux pas - I'll be a bit more careful next time.

12. altimax98

altimax98 Well-Known Member

Remember that if your like me and dont like terminal emulators and are using the ADB shell through a computer remember to reboot into recovery, then go to mount and mount the SDcard to get it to work correctly ;)

so reboot into recovery, adb shell, mount SDcard, then flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.2.b.img then remount SDcard and reboot..

The command prompt should say, "flashing" for a split second then go to the normal appearance of the :# look.

13. howtodo?

howtodo? Member

i just installed it went very smooth, one question can the recovery file be deleted from the card after its updated??

14. ryandroid

ryandroid New Member

I have this same problem. flash_image: not found I have been trying to install that SirPsycho SPRecovery Image and it will not work. I also look into my /data/local and inside /data the local folder doesn't exist anymore :confused: :confused: I am rooted. I ran the application, droid root helper and installed busybox, mounted both mtdblock3 and mtdblock4, synced those. I also clicked on the rename recovery-from-boot.p. I clicked on the SirPsycho 0.99.1b button at the bottom. <==take notice the recovery 1b. It did not install the rom. Unfortunately, I have click all of these buttons more then once. Then I tried to install 2b by using Terminal Emulator. From there I

$ su
    #flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.2b.img
    flash_image: not found

so after that I

#reboot recovery

just brings up /!\ sign orginal rom

I am not sure what doing it more than once does, but it sounds like a chance for disaster.

If you have anyway of knowing how to fix this don't be afraid to drop a line :D much appreciated as I am just trying to install Smoked Glass ROM. :D

Oh BTW the Wireless Tethering is the shizz :cool: