1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

How to upgrade a rooted Milestone?

1. cdl

cdl Well-Known Member

I have an unrooted Milestone and am considering getting an unlocked Milestone 2 in the UK (mainly for the larger memory: even with Froyo not all apps can be moved to an SD card) and rooting it.
    I understand a number of users managed to root the Milestone 2 with Z4Root.

My question is: once I root it, how do I upgrade the Android os to future versions? :confused:

I understand OTA updates won't work, but will I still have the option to download the update from Motorola's website? After all, the 2.2 update for Milestone 1 was never released OTA.

Some people sugget that, when a new Android version comes along, users of a rooted phone should just load a custom rom with that version, but I'm under the impression this is not possible with the Milestone (1 nor 2), or is it?

Thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

There is no update expected at this time, but to get rid of root you can flash a stock SBF and then update will go through.

What update are you waiting for? Motorola never promised any updates.
  3. cdl

cdl Well-Known Member

But if I flash a stock sbf I will erase all my data, apps, settings, etc, right?

Some people seem to think that I freeze (with Titanium backup or a similar app) Motoblur and the other bloatware I should still be able to receive OTA updates, but I found contradicting opinions on this. i guess I'll just have to try myself...

Trying to think ahead, in case the Mielstone 2 will ever be updated to Android 3 (which I appreciate is not granted), but also in case minor bugs are fixed in future releases; the latter would be more about fixing Milestone-specific glitches than obtaining a new version of Android.

Thanks!
  4. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Don't think too much in advance. If you only used TiB to freeze apps, it will take 5 minutes to unfreeze them when an update comes.