• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to upgrade Huawei Ascend from 2.1 to 2.2???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: the 2.2 upgrade for the Ascend - I don't think anyone knows for sure when it is going to be released. I spoke with a Cricket agent yesterday who informed me they don't know anything either.

I think Cricket is more concerned with upgrading the Sanyo Zio to 2.2 than they are the Ascend. And I think Huawei is more concerned with marketing the new IDEOS X5 and X6.

We Ascend users may have gotten caught in the middle. I'm not sure where that leaves us. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Re: the 2.2 upgrade for the Ascend - I don't think anyone knows for sure when it is going to be released. I spoke with a Cricket agent yesterday who informed me they don't know anything either.

I think Cricket is more concerned with upgrading the Sanyo Zio to 2.2 than they are the Ascend. And I think Huawei is more concerned with marketing the new IDEOS X5 and X6.

We Ascend users may have gotten caught in the middle. I'm not sure where that leaves us. :thinking:

Like it's that hard to press a button and release 2.2

Upvote 0
Sorry to barge in but it is not that easy. They need to configure the OS to work with the Ascend's configurations, like the lack of a discrete graphics unit, the EVDO-Rev. A network, Huawei's custom ROM, Cricket's bloatware. Plus they need to test it in real life and controlled conditions, need to figure out a process of delivery, talks with the carrier, marketing of future products(they want you to buy another phone with the latest software), and more. This will not be the case if the Ascend had stock Eclair.

Upvote 0
Sorry to barge in but it is not that easy. They need to configure the OS to work with the Ascend's configurations, like the lack of a discrete graphics unit, the EVDO-Rev. A network, Huawei's custom ROM, Cricket's bloatware. Plus they need to test it in real life and controlled conditions, need to figure out a process of delivery, talks with the carrier, marketing of future products(they want you to buy another phone with the latest software), and more. This will not be the case if the Ascend had stock Eclair.

It's still fairly simple, they just make it seem complicated. They could of had it done already if they really wanted to. It's a simple firmware update, it should of already been tested

Upvote 0
I'm going to attempt to restore some of my stock apps I uninstalled to see what happens. I have the pro version of TB. Don't know if that makes any diff or not. But I'll let you know.

Actually Jazziette, I have confirmed my solution doesnt work. Copy and paste this: To restore an app that has been backed up, go to titanium and go to the app that you need to restore. Click on it once and you will see a restore button. (The button will not appear if you haven't previously backed up the particular app). P.S. Don't forget to give credit :)
NOTE: Its a different story with system apps.

Upvote 0
Only 4.

Uno
Midnite Bowling
Photobucket
Docs to go

I've tried everything! It shows they are backed up. I tried restoring them through 'batch' and it said the batch run was successful but they still don't show up on the screen and I can't get them to load from anywhere else.

In Tit B when I touch them and it opens up the little screen on them, it doesn't give me any kind of restore option.

Upvote 0
You guys forget that the Ascend is also under the carrier MetroPCS in the United States.And Cricket/MetroPCS would not the one that would release an update, they would be the ones to inform you of the update but Huawei is the only ones that have to make an official update. Because Huawei isn't a big name manufacturer, they probably wont be making an update soon. I would say place your bets on an independent dev (maybe donate if they accept it)

Upvote 0
You guys forget that the Ascend is also under the carrier MetroPCS in the United States.And Cricket/MetroPCS would not the one that would release an update, they would be the ones to inform you of the update but Huawei is the only ones that have to make an official update. Because Huawei isn't a big name manufacturer, they probably wont be making an update soon. I would say place your bets on an independent dev (maybe donate if they accept it)

Yes you are right about who will release the firmware. It will be Huawei. But in case you aren't aware....Huawei is globally a HUGE and very well known manufacturer. And they have two new Androids out right now, the IDEOS X5 and the IDEOS X6. They are moving up towards the elite level and still keeping their prices affordable.

My thinking is that from a marketing point of view they may hold back the release until they get the new phones here.

Just a guess! :)

Here's my Cricket Ascend after rooted it:

screenshot_1.png

Reactions: edgarwar
Upvote 0
Oh well here in the US the only carrier I've seen any Huawei phones on is MetroPCS so I assumed they wern't a big name company, then again I havent really looked, but they still cant match up to like LG, Samsung, and Motorola right? The first Huawei phone I used was the M750 and that sucked. Although for the most part android is android so I didnt see any problem getting an android from them

Upvote 0
The fact is that Huawei is much bigger than LG, Samsung and most other manufacturers of handsets. They really haven't just began to make cell phones. They have been making them for a while under the names of other carriers. But they are only recently introducing them under the Huawei name here in the US. In Australia, over half the country uses a Huawei handset or tablet already.

This is what has the other phone manufacturers nervous. In China, they can make these phones dirt cheap. And they will be just as good (or better)as any other phone.

Huawei

Go to their official site. You might find it interesting. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones