• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to upgrade to 2.3.6 without end up to 4!

marco_c

Lurker
Oct 19, 2012
Hi, i've been struggling all day to downgrade to Android 2.3 after installing horrible and battery-killer android 4. Now I would like to keep the OS up-to-dated but without the risk of installing version 4 again!
Now i've got 2.3.3 and i would like to upgrade to 2.3.6. If I use Samsung Software Update in hthe phone I get a generic message "new firmware available, would you like to install?"... ?!? I guess which firmware im going to install if I press YES..
Kies cannot connect to the phone (don't know why) so i would like to know if i press YES to samsung software update how to get 2.3.6 and not 4
Thank you

Is battery drain the only reason you don't want to upgrade to ICS?

(BTW - I'm on ICS V4.0.4. Unplugged the phone at 2pm today, now at 5:30pm and battery is at 95% - dropped 5% in 3 1/2 hours.) Battery drain was horrible at first but I sorted it out. Now very happy.

Kies may no longer recognise the phone because of how you downgraded from ICS back to Gingerbread. Updating will usually flash the latest available firmware as that is seen as the most current and best. If you want to go to V2.3.6 your best options may be to download and flash a custom rom, or to download a previous official release from SamMobile and flash that.

Upvote 0
Hi, i've been struggling all day to downgrade to Android 2.3 after installing horrible and battery-killer android 4. Now I would like to keep the OS up-to-dated but without the risk of installing version 4 again!
Now i've got 2.3.3 and i would like to upgrade to 2.3.6. If I use Samsung Software Update in hthe phone I get a generic message "new firmware available, would you like to install?"... ?!? I guess which firmware im going to install if I press YES..
Kies cannot connect to the phone (don't know why) so i would like to know if i press YES to samsung software update how to get 2.3.6 and not 4
Thank you

Kies might not detect your phone because of the 2.3.3 firmware that you flashed. Check the CSC to match your region. You can grab a 2.3.6 firmware from samfirmwares and flash using Odin. If your phone is nearing the warranty, just root it and install a Jelly Bean custom ROM - that's what I have got :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones