• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to use extSD as main storage? P3100

rand0mdud3

Lurker
Apr 28, 2013
Not to long ago we got a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for our son, model P3100. We made a big mistake by going for the 8GB version as out of the 8GB only 4GB is usable. We bought and installed 2 large games and the space is pretty much full. We thought an extSD card would solve the issue and so we got an additional 16GB card. Unfortunately Samsung consists of a bunch of morons... Kind of disappointing after being a huge fan of them.

Can anyone guide me or give advice on what can be done? I was hoping to somehow use the extSD card to store the games... :(

The device is not rooted.

Not to long ago we got a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for our son, model P3100. We made a big mistake by going for the 8GB version as out of the 8GB only 4GB is usable. We bought and installed 2 large games and the space is pretty much full. We thought an extSD card would solve the issue and so we got an additional 16GB card. Unfortunately Samsung consists of a bunch of morons... Kind of disappointing after being a huge fan of them.

Can anyone guide me or give advice on what can be done? I was hoping to somehow use the extSD card to store the games... :(

The device is not rooted.

It's not really Samsung's fault that Google designed Android to be that way. AFAIK what you're asking is not possible without root.

Upvote 0
It's not really Samsung's fault that Google designed Android to be that way. AFAIK what you're asking is not possible without root.

As long as it's possible I guess I can look into rooting the device. So the fault is with Android and not with Samsung? I thought it was the other way around...

How would I go about rooting the device and at the same time keeping it secure for a young person?

Upvote 0
As long as it's possible I guess I can look into rooting the device. So the fault is with Android and not with Samsung? I thought it was the other way around...

How would I go about rooting the device and at the same time keeping it secure for a young person?

It's kind of both sides fault. You could try apps like Apps2Sd and Link2Sd. There are plenty in the Play store. Some don't need root. However, not everything will be movable.

Upvote 0
Is there no other way? I think I've read somewhere that you can swap the Internal SD with the extSD, so that the phone thinks the extSD is the main one?

Why do you need the ext partition on the SD card as your main internal memory? If you were to loose or corrupt your SD card then Android wouldn't work properly. For most purposes it's best you leave the internal memory alone and move the user apps to the SD card.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones