• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Use International GSM?

PsychDoc

May 30, 2010
NYC
I apologize in advance for what is probably an overly newbie question but I was wondering if anyone could explain to me clearly how one goes about using an phone like the DNA, which has international capabilities when you go overseas or to S. America.

Do you have to buy a separate sim card from the carrier in the country you're visiting?

Do you do it all directly through Verizon?

Any idea how much calls cost when overseas?

If you could explain this as if I'm a 3rd grader I'd be really appreciative! :p

[Edit] Related question. Do you need any kind of converter when charging the phone with a micro-usb plug which will fit into the 220V outlets in countries like France or Italy?

I'm researching into this myself as I'm going to Paris for my honeymoon next June.

The below Verizon support sites looks like the best start, plans vary by country. For my Paris trip it'll be pricey though I don't plan on making any calls and using much data outside wi-fi. I guess I could get a SIM from a local shop to try and save money but would end up having to use the number that comes with it during my trip.

If you're on business your company should cover costs :)

International Trip Planner

Global Services

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones