• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how to use my android tablet to control my macmini

Hi

i tried VNC already :
i used the standard setup from my mac (server)
i have installed android VNC, but think i had some issue with the "port" settings...
(my ip is fine)
error message : VNC connection failed! failed to connect to localhost/192.168.1.67 (port 5800): connect failed: ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)

Upvote 0
Hmi think vnc server is running as i can access to the mac mini screen via my macbook (with share screen apple functionality)
That's a different program, built into Mac OS.

Just go to the VNC website. There's easy to follow instructions and trouble shooting tips there. For setup of the router see the manual.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0

Upvote 0
Hi

i already tried myself by reading and trying everyting i found on internet

it does nor work... i just want to access to my mac mini with my android tablet with my wifi (i do not need to have access from the internet...)

this is what i have done
- updated my rooter by adding the permission for VNC for port 5900, attaching this to my mac mini and/or my android... (i do not know which one need to be on the rooter... the serveur or the client?)
- checking the port on my mac (apparently port 5900 is open)
- trying to use internal ip adresse or external ip adresse of my mac mini (on the vnc client)

it does not work, i still have this message :
when using port 5800 : VNC connection failed! failed to connect to localhost/192.168.1.67 (port 5800): connect failed: ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)
when using port 5900 : VNC connection failed! Null

any idea?

juliette

Upvote 0
You were correct in adding VNC on port 5900.

The MacMini will be the server. It can be connected to the router by either wire or WiFi. Make sure the VNC server is running on the Mac. It should be running as a service.

You must determine the IP address of the MacMini to connect. For Windows the command is 'ipconfig' for Linux it's 'ifconfig'. I don't know what the command is for a Mac but it should be easy to find. It will be a number something like 192.168.1.101.

On the tablet in VNC, enter the MacMini's address as 192.168.1.101:5900 (or whatever the actual IP is). Be ready with your WiFi password.

Again, the VNC website should be helpful.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0

Upvote 0
... ipconfig on my mac (that s why i am sure of my ip) ...

All right, it sounds like you have a command-line window, so let's start at the most fundamental level of network diagnostics. Please post your results so that we can see what you're seeing. "It doesn't work" won't qualify as an adequate response for being able to provide further help.

You want to know the IP address and netmask of your tablet and the mac. Are they even on the same network segment? If so, then from the mac, "ping" the IP of the tablet. If you have success, then (optionally) "ping" the mac IP from the tablet if you have such rooted tools installed (e.g. Better Terminal Emulator Pro with BusyBox Pro). You may need to "su -" on either end to enable the necessary socket connections and path needed to "ping".

Once you've verified that the machines can "see" and communicate with each other, it's time to see what ports are open on the mac that the tablet can see, so install NetAudit on the tablet and scan ports on the mac, from 1 to 7000 or so. This will provide some very useful information in general (especially if one has the patience to scan from 1 to 65535) but we're looking to see what ports the vnc server is actually listening on, which depends on the way you configured the vnc server.

Once you can see those open vnc server ports, then make sure the client viewer you're using is addressing the correct port.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones