• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How-To: Use the Sprint Update Utility to Flash Custom Kernel

like joeykrim told me. completely close out the utilitiy, follow the instructions to the letter and try it again and again. it took me 5 times but it finally took. also, it helped somehow, to remove the utility and re-dl from sprint.com.

ill try this...

Tried it 3 more times... then realized that this is exactly what i had been doing all this week... nothing... just says its loading and nothing happens

Upvote 0
Well I got to work fairly easy. I've probably flashed my phone 50 times or more already messing around with different things. But the one thing I did notice while doing this is it didn't work right away. I tried a couple of times and still no good, it got stuck right away. So all I did was close out firefox and it worked like a charm. I remember reading something before on that so i tried it. Hopefully that helps.

Now for my Question:

I was running ze12.1 and I did a back up on the recovery page (vol down,call,end). I've had to restore before and it worked fine. Now after doing this it won't even show up in the restore files on recovery page. Running joey's 1.9.5 with max recovery2.0.

Is the back-ups different with the new recovery? Any suggestions would help and be greatly appreciated. Really don't wanna have to redo all my stuff again.

thanks,

travis

Upvote 0
Ok, I got it to work, thank goodness. I just made a back up with the new recovery and compared the 2 back-ups on my sd card and they were named different. So all I did was rename my back up like the new one and it worked perfectly. Hope that helps anyone else that may run into that problem.

Two things I gotta say after installing the new kernal and update. 1 good and 1 bad.

Good: My phone is a lot faster now. It is great.
Bad: A lot less memory to start with. Before this it had 279mb now it has 216mb. That's quite a difference if you ask me. Not really a problem (yet anyway), but kind of disappointing.

thanks for listening,

travis

Upvote 0
OK- here is a neat little FYI for those of you that are having "impossible connection problems" while trying to update/flash/get the PC to recognize your phone...

ALWAYS CHECK THE USB CABLE!

lol, i know it sounds dumb... but I was having the worst time getting the thing to recognize my Moment... always getting "USB device failure" and "unrecognized device" errors. Went through a boatload of drivers, methods of installation etc... Finally, (as a last resort) i changed out the USB cable.. and all of a sudden, IT WORKS!

Testing later revealed that I indeed had a bad USB cable that would let it connect, and charge, but NOT COMMUNICATE! So, long story short, if you are having incredible problems like me, change out the cable and try again.

For those of you that want to go further, it can be easily enough checked with these tools: Digital Multimeter and a set of mirco-probes. (both acquired at "The Shack for around $30, if you don't already have a set) I am a technician by trade (past career) so I already had the equipment. You don't need the $300 Fluke meter to check continuity!

This is SPECIFICALLY for the MINI-USB cable, as some phones use the MICRO-USB cable, and is NYE impossible to test with out specialized equipment.
There's 4 pins, and a ground plane (the metal frame) on the USB side of the cable, and 5 pins, and a ground plane on the phone side of the cable. (4 data pins, and a ground pin that is tied to the ground plane) You simply stick a probe end on each pin on each side of the cable until you find continuity. (set the meter to the Ω symbol and watch for the display to reach 00.00 or as close as it gets. 00.02 is perfectly acceptable as "Continuity") repeat this on each set of connected pins. As you find the pairs, gently twist the cable back and forth and watch the display to rise, or go blank. This tells you that there is an intermittent/open (broken) connection. Time to replace the cable!

Hope this helps someone.. or is at least interesting to read!

Upvote 0
Ok so i think i did something wrong. I just updated it this morning with the sprint update program. The reading a guide i found i tried to root it by using the odin 4.03 utility. Then i found bbygirl's guide on how to use the sprint utility. I was able to get to the part when you download tot he phone and it just sat at setting up connection. But i had already made it past the 2 other connection test parts. I read all the posts here and tried another 6 times. Then i though it might be something wrong with ZE14. So i downloaded joeykrim's and put that in the binary folder. That worked. Is their something wrong with the ZE14 build?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones