How to utilize the SD storage?Support

Last Updated:

1. faber.bradley

faber.bradley New Member

HI all,
    New to Android. Came over from Blackberry. I go the Photon the day it came out (its buggy but I like it alot). I also got a 32GB microSD card a few days later. I would like to know:

1. What can I and can't I store on it and how to do it;

2. Can I have apps downloaded and installed to it ( or a portion of them), and if so, how?

3. How do you transfer existing apps from internal storage to the SD card?

4. How do you transfer existing photos, videos, and music from internal to the SD card?

5. Can I have file attachments saved to it (e.g., pictures, documents, etc.)

6. What is the best program to transfer my audio files from the PC to the SD card? Media Link doesn't seem to keep my iTunes playlists. It just transfers the library. There seems to be no option in WinAmp, Widows Media Player, and Sandisk Media Manager.

7. How can I have camera pictures and camcorder videos save automatically to the SD card?

8. How do I get my voice recorder app to save to the SD card?

9. How do you have documents (Word, Excel, PDF) created in QuickOffice saved to the SD card?

10. How do I transfer documents from my PC to the SD card?

11. Any other suggestions as to what I can save to the SD card (bookmarks, saved emails, etc.) that will help conserve space.

12. Finally, I would like to know how to best view and manage the folder tree.

Advertisement
  2. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

Hey Brad, Welcome to Android and Android Forums!
    You have come prepared and with lots of questions, I like that!
    I have undertaken the time to try to answer your questions, I hope you are willing to take the time to try to find your own answers and be patient with me. This thread has gotten beastly. I use HTC's Evo 3D so I can answer some general questions for you, meanwhile some of them are Photon specific (like how to best use mass Internal Storage and SD cards synonymously) Someone else will be able to help you more with those specifics.

I recommend that you download the Sprint's User Guide and follow along with me (or use the paper version in the phone's box)

There is also a 2 great guide threads on the forum here with some quick tips:
    http://androidforums.com/motorola-p...-4g-faq-threads-read-here-before-posting.html
    http://androidforums.com/motorola-photon-4g/385749-helpful-tips-newbies.html

Sorry to throw a bunch of links at you, but there is some real help available here for you.

See below, my answers are in red. I'm a rather complete answerer and sometime give too much info. Hopefully I don't get too confusing for you.

Whew!
  3. Bohnstedt39

Bohnstedt39 Member

1. Random apps will or won't allow being transferred to SD card. Rooting fixes this, you can save all apps to SD. If rooting is something you wouldn't like to do, an app called "app 2 SD" will allow you to easily move the available apps to the SD card.
    6. "Tunesync" or "iSyncr" will do the trick, but I reccomend planning on switching to amazon mp3 in the near future. You can store up to 5 gb of previously owned music on their cloud, and buy songs from your android device. Not to mention, the song prices range from free to $.99, not that BS extra 30 cents apple is making you pay for songs now
    10. Just put the SD card into your computer and copy and paste them to your sd's documents folder
    12. Get an app called "astro file manager" which lets you view and manage all files and folders on your SD card.

I hope I helped with some of the problems you have. Be sure to thank me in this post if I helped.
    faber.bradley likes this.
  4. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

The problem is that the phone's 8GB of internal storage is viewed as the sd card by apps. So when you insert an actual SD card, most apps cannot use it.

2. Can I have apps downloaded and installed to it ( or a portion of them), and if so, how?
    Nope, they all go to the application storage and the internal storage if you use app 2 sd.

3. How do you transfer existing apps from internal storage to the SD card?
    You can't.

4. How do you transfer existing photos, videos, and music from internal to the SD card?
    Use a file manager to move them.

5. Can I have file attachments saved to it (e.g., pictures, documents, etc.)
    Not automatically. They will go to the internal storage by default.

7. How can I have camera pictures and camcorder videos save automatically to the SD card?
    Camera app, menu, settings, storage location.

9. How do you have documents (Word, Excel, PDF) created in QuickOffice saved to the SD card?
    Move them manually.

10. How do I transfer documents from my PC to the SD card?
    Dropbox is great, but the files will go to the internal storage.

12. Finally, I would like to know how to best view and manage the folder tree.
    The phone comes with a built in file manager. It is called "Files".
    mted558 and faber.bradley like this.
  5. mikey78

mikey78 Member

KOUKI is dead on!! This phone is great but the fact that they named the internal memory partition SD is idiotic not to mention for those apps that u move from phone memory to media area (internal sd) if u have any of those shortcuts on your homescreen ounce u plug the phone into your pc those shortcuts will get erased atleast they do on mine and alot of others so the apps with shortcuts on your homepage leave them stored to phone!! because they named the internal memory SD it misleads alot of people to were things are getting stored!
  6. doneve141

doneve141 Well-Known Member

I agree with what has been said. I have used the phone portal that comes on the phone to move files and pictures from my phone to and from my computer. You have to have and use wi fi. No wires, drag and drop all works. Pretty cool.