how to verify if Hero is finally rooted?

Last Updated:

1. jdwis

jdwis Active Member This Topic's Starter

hi

For last 3-4 days I continually tried checking & understanding how to root hero on 3 network..
    Hardly found fwe threads here & there which was not even much helpful..
    gathered information from all diff forums, including this and other.
    mine was 2.73.**** then downgraded to 2.73.405.5 as per some note on one of the thread..
    then used Android SDK & Superuser.zip file to do rest of the job..
    did adb commands and copied su as well...
    also copied Superuser.apk on card and installed it..
    but when i run it it does not give any option to allow full access..???
    also installed Terminal but it doesnt allow to enter anything, with MENU option it does not give any way to enter anything into it??

how to verify if the hero is rooted now??

also pls can someone guide me if its not yet rooted, what to do now?

thanks

Advertisement
    jim_h likes this.
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

That's correct. By itself it doesn't actually do much of anything.

Connect your handset to the PC via USB.
    Open a command prompt
    Type "adb shell"
    At the $ prompt type su
    You should either then see the root prompt (#) or the Superuser Permissions confirmation dialogue on your handset. Answer "always allow" and you're done.

theimpaler and jdwis like this.
  3. jdwis

4. Slug

Glad you were successful. It's actually pretty cool to see somebody still rooting "old style".... that's how I first did it. :)

5. jdwis

Hi Slug
    I tried some easy ways around but wasnt successful so had to do it hardway, but seemed that it was better, as I know a little bit of Linux so knew few commands here & there...
    I was wondering should I start another thread as I need some help on how to install Radio..
    In the beginning I was wondering what all these ppl are talking abt Radio, Stock ROM, to what my knowledge Radio is the simple radio???
    and Stock ROM is the one original came with the Phone??

Please correct me if I am wrong as I really couldnt find details even googling around..

your advice would be nice, if I should start another thread on Radio...
    The reason being, i read many posts on several forums but nowhere there is specific mention what & how exactly is a installing Radio (when that thing never came originally on phone) and any specific meaning of Stock ROM...

I tried installing Radio as per a thread somewhere on ModaCo site.. the file name was "update-hero-radio-63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26-signed.zip", but eventually I had problems immediately phone starts, some icons missing.. many problems..

please advice...

thanks

6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Yeah, the stock ROM is the one the phone came with. (There are however, lots of different stock ROMs, as HTC release newer versions and mobile carriers release branded versions).

And the radio, as I understand it, is the firmware for the phone's antena. So in theory the updated radio file should give better mobile network + WiFi reception. How did you try to install the radio update?

7. jdwis

@ Xtiro

Thanks for reply & info.
    So my judgment was nearly correct for Stock ROM, though I was still thinking that it mean Stock (finance) related little program...
    At present it is -
    Firmware - 1.5
    MCR 3.1
    Baseband - 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29
    I used Recovery Backup ver - "recovery-RA-hero-v1.5.2.zip"
    formatted sdcard, copied radio - "63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29" & renamed it to update.zip
    went into Recover Bckup, installed new file "update.zip"
    Now the problem begins, it goes all the way doing its stuff, then comes to a state & it says soemthing like this -
    "Reboot via Home+Back or Menu to finish installation"
    somehting like that, but it was damn confusing, should I reboot the phone by going onto its option or should I press Home + Back button now?
    but then anyways, I pressed Home+Back button being on that screen.. not sure what happened at that time, but to what i canremember, it rebooted then showed another screen with a Box and an arrow coming out of it and going onto the phone... then suddenly it it says "Formatting CACHE..." and stays there for it life...
    one of the thread said that it will ask to press MENU to confirm the reboot after its done, and all this procedure does not take much...
    where am i doing wrong or what should have i done?
    thanks

8. Slug

A common "problem"... the format operation is very quick and there's no confirmation. It has completed successfully but there's no way of knowing. :eek: Reboot the handset from the main recovery menu and you should find the "Baseband" has been updated.

9. jdwis

Thanks Slug, I will try it soon..

10. jim_h

jim_h Well-Known Member

Thanks for this thread jdwis. My Hero is on the 3 network too and although I'm itching to root it, I'm hanging on until the official v2.1 to see how it fares compared to 1.5. This thread has helped me understand a bit more about the process of rooting.

11. jUsT2eXy

jUsT2eXy Well-Known Member

Go to market. Search root. Check app description and make sure it says 'requires root' ... download it...install..run app. If it runs you are rooted...if it does not then you are not.

simples.

12. jdwis

your welcome, good it helped..