How to Videos from TheUnlockr: Root/unroot, enable SD card, load custom recovery/ROM

Last Updated:

1. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Hey guys, some new "How to" videos from TheUnlockr ;)

Caveman419 likes this.
  2. bgrutter

bgrutter Well-Known Member

Thanks UB. U B the Man. Right along with theunlockr.
  3. UBRocked

Thanks bgrutter. I only wish I could take credit for TheUnlockr's work...But, I'm just a messenger :D
  4. dvandam

dvandam Well-Known Member

Can someone confirm that this works on the WiFi? I'm a little hesitant because the developer only has the VZ version to test on. I don't want to run this and brick my device.
  5. docfreed

docfreed Active Member

I see many claims for rooting a WiFi Xoom successfully (particularly on XDA) but when you drill down and read each post, you can see that there's always something incomplete - ranges from broken WiFi to other broken stuff.

I'm waiting until there is solid evidence that this really works on WiFi
  6. bgrutter

bgrutter Well-Known Member

Me too. I'm also gonna wait for CWM or some other recovery module. I'm not real exited about making a bunch of changes until I know I can create a solid backup.

Edit: I suppose that might also mean that I have to wait until the SD slot is enabled.
  7. docfreed

docfreed Active Member

It makes sense to me to wait for the SD slot to be enabled before rooting - we don't know what changes will be required to enable it and they might have to update with an entirely new ROM
  8. p8ntballah21

p8ntballah21 Well-Known Member

SD card support is now available via Tiamat's Kernal. If you follow the link above in addition to the rooting video there are video how to's for sd card support and clockwork recovery
  9. meckert15834

meckert15834 Well-Known Member

just rooted my WIFI only version and everything went well. running at 1.5ghz and loving it!!
  10. p8ntballah21

p8ntballah21 Well-Known Member

Same here with a 3G version. Quadrant scores of 3100+ and linpacks of 64. It's funny because its like when I got my OG Droid and was hesitent to root, and after I did, I didn't know why I didn't do it sooner. The same with my Xoom this time around.
  11. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Well-Known Member

Anyone have a good link to how to unroot if you did not use the one click. I really would like to get 3.1 running but I need to unroot and but the boot loader back but I am trying to do it without losing data if possible. I screwed up and hit install before I unrooted and have been far too busy lately to get this worked on again until now.
  12. JDuc

JDuc Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who didn't have an option to 'Flash the Timat Kernel instead' when you open the Root My Xoom program?

All I had was Root, Unroot, backup data, and restore data. Nothing different there. I went through the root process once more and I still don't have SD card support. Apparently I need SD card support in the first place to even be able to upgrade to 3.1 since I'm already rooted anyways.

Anyone able to assist? :confused:

EDIT: turns out to get what I was trying to do, I just needed to put the .zip files on the SD card first, insert SD card, reboot into recovery, then tell to install the 4 zip files. All appears to be working.
  13. virodeath

virodeath Well-Known Member

The one click link for WiFi now says as far as he knows it doesn't work (this is under the "WiFi EXPERMENTAL" tab) is this the "scare you to death screen" or has he mad this one click root option no longer available for the WiFi versions of Xoom?

14. beefyy

beefyy Well-Known Member

Is this method going to be posted up again? It seems like because it doesn't work for the uk models but wheat about the rest of us?
  15. foxmajik

foxmajik Member

This thread needs to be un-sticky because most of these tutorials are no longer useful and could actually cause harm.
  16. izzabdullah

izzabdullah Member

I'm grabbing up the $199 deal from Verizon on Black Friday on the 4gLTE and I want to root it. I've seen a lot of posts as well about bricking the xoom when trying to root, or breaking wifi, or whatnot. What are the updates on this?
  17. UBRocked

If they are outdated and the information is no longer valid, this should be unstuck. I don't have a Xoom so I can't verify the information is still valid. Many times, the devices that are used to create these videos are on loan and TheUnlockr cannot make new videos for every update...just the way it works.

Check this out...seems to be current and still working for many people (not without some issues mind you): [Root] Universal Xoom Root - ANY XOOM ANY UPDATE - xda-developers
  18. izzabdullah

izzabdullah Member

UBRocked likes this.
  19. depsyxy

depsyxy New Member

Good to know, thanks
  20. jerezer1985

jerezer1985 Active Member

does anyone know if these methods work with the motorola xoom family edition they sell at Best but for around $400?
    thanks in advance. thinking of maybe buying the Motorola xoom family edition.
  21. zetroc

zetroc Well-Known Member

Can someone confirm if the unroot option listed at the top works for a LTE XOOM? I see that it says 3G but I'm not sure if it matters, and I'd rather be safe. I rooted my XOOM using the Universal Root method. Thanks!

PS: I found this for whomever is interested in unrooting/locking/stock