Support How to wake phone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Chuck1906, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Chuck1906

Chuck1906 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Now I DO know how to wake the phone by pressing the top button and then sliding the screen lock to the right. Is there a way (perhaps with an app) that you can wake your phone say when your turn your bluetooth headset on? I just want the screen to light up to show me that my BT is connected instead me having to go press that top button.

Also I noticed that when I am on a call, my screen goes to sleep and sometimes I have to shake or wave the phone around in order to get it to wake up! What's up with that?

Even when I get text messages, the phone will stay asleep! I get the notification sound and then I see the green light flash letting me know there is a text message but it doesn't take the phone out of sleep mode until I start unlocking those 2 buttons.

Sometimes at the end of a call the screen stays black and I have no way of tapping the END button and by the time it comes too, its back on the home page again.

Advertisement
  2. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I believe all of the behavior your are describing is actually the desired effect. The screen sleeps during a call so you don't cheek dial. When it dims during a call that I take with the handset, as soon as I move it from my ear, it comes back to life and I can press the end button. I only just started using my bluetooth headset today, but I think the screen does stay blank when you use the headset, since you aren't using the proximity sensor. But, why is there a need to press the end button on the screen? I just end the call using my headset.

As for the txt messages, there is an app that will make the screen turn on when a txt msg is received, although I don't know if it unlocks the phone or not, since I didn't install it. Can't remember the name but I think the the dev is Andrew Schwimmer.

As for not having to slide to unlock, I saw someone start a thread the other day about an app to eliminate needing to the slide to unlock. Again, I can't remember the exact thread but you can search for it.

I hear you on being annoyed at having to turn on the screen AND unlock the phone, but I think I tolerate it because the alternative is accidentally dialing people or doing other undesired button presses. On my last phone, I had to enable the keyguard on my own, and sometimes when I would forget to, something in my pocket might hit the button to bring the screen on or I would get an alert or something which turned the screen on and then next thing I knew I had butt dialed someone or started a calendar event that would unfortunately send me a reminder at midnight on a tuesday or something else undesirable, LOL.

3. Chuck1906

Dec 20, 2009
    Crankerchick your too funny! LOL! You made some good points but you got me laughing about the "butt dialed" comment! LOL! I am sure those things do happen as I accidently called 3 people at 3 am when I first got the Droid! The app that gets rid of the sliding lock is called SCREEN MODE WIDGET. I would be interested in finding out the text message app you spoke about though.

4. crankerchick

Dec 30, 2009
    Yeah I have called my grandparents twice when I didn't mean to, once at 10:30 pm and they are old people that go to bed at 8 o'clock so that 10:30 pm wasn't really a good thing at all. I actually installed this app called "Not Call Log" from the market which makes the phone go back to any screen you choose after ending a call instead of the default which is to go to the Call Log screen. Both times I accidentally called my grandparents was because I had just taken a call and then set the phone in my lap and accidentally called them from the call log.

I just looked on the market and the app to wake the screen when an SMS is recieved is called SMSAwake.

5. There is an app called "missed call for android 2.0", it adds LED alerts for missed calls (obviously), calendar, SMS, battery, applications, airplane and it has a BT selection as well. I only use the missed call and calendar options but it works well and I am guessing it would work nicely for your BT too ;)

6. crankerchick

Dec 30, 2009
    I am using OneMissedCall too, although I've only had it for 2 days, but it is nice and I like it so far.

7. Chuck1906

Dec 20, 2009
    Cool thanks for the suggestions. I tried SMSawake and then I got a text from a friend and woke the screen up! So thanks for sharing that one...I will look into the other one you mentioned now.

8. crankerchick

Dec 30, 2009
    So does it wake up the screen and unlock it too?

9. Chuck1906

Dec 20, 2009
    doesn't unlock it, just wakes it up for like 5 seconds. Someone mentioned that an app called Handsent SMS wakes the screen and i think unlocks it...I didn't install that one so I am not 100% on that one.

10. crankerchick

Dec 30, 2009
    Ok thanks that's good, because I wouldn't want it to unlock it for that whole butt dialing reason when it's in my pocket and I receive an SMS.

I read the comments on Handcent SMS and I see a few comments that it caused a lag, so I haven't tried it out. The stock app seems fine to me, I'm not a "power texter" LOL.