How well do task killers really work?

1. I have had Advanced task killer installed about a week and its not really improving battery life noticeably. Also, when I look at open apps, random things like Sprint Navigation is open most the time, I havent used it in weeks and if I keep killing it, how does it keep opening? Not really sure this thing does too much.

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

Remember, it's not necessarily "open" in the sense of the word that "open" means on Windows.

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/26997-task-managers-your-hero.html

Just because your task killer shows that it's using memory, doesn't mean that it's using CPU power. Android fills up available memory in order to be able to multi-task. Here's the most defining part of that link, but I suggest you read the whole thing, multiple times to get the grasp of using task-killers

3. Thanks. The 2nd and 3rd paragraph summed it up great.
  4. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

You bet :)
  5. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

I installed one within the first week of having my Hero because a Sprint salesman told me I should. After reading these forums for awhile I decided to stop using it and didn't notice a difference either way.
  6. 305Cane

305Cane Well-Known Member

yea this bothers me a lot. i had a friend they told the exact same thing to and had to convince her how to properly set up the phone. hell they guy never even told her to update the firmware for the messaging fix that drained battery. they told her to get a task manager and close stuff. absurdity at its best.
  7. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

Task killers are horrible. Android managers tasks the correct way. Task killers are battery hogs.
  8. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

Still no task killer for me and I get a full day on my battery, with heavy use.
  9. t1jordan

t1jordan Well-Known Member

I agree with you and thanks for the information. I am using a task killer. (Estrong) The problem I have is dialing a number and the buttons lag. That kills me the most. When Im using my Estrong Task Manager I dont experience this at all. Im going to try and run with a task killer again and compare the performance. I just know with my task killer, my performance is noticably better.
  10. GibsonD90

GibsonD90 Well-Known Member

I too have an "advanced task killer" and thought it would save battery life, but after I read on hear that it is best to not use it, I have stopped in the last few days (I used to kill things as soon as I stopped using them).

I haven't seen any drop in battery life after I quit using it. I think battery life only is drained while using the apps maybe (like a game or something) but not just at the home screen after exiting the games...
  11. sanchez1980us

sanchez1980us Well-Known Member

I think I might just delete my advance task killer
  12. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

Holy dead thread revival! :eek: But yes, you should delete it. It most likely causes you more problems than it solves.