How well does the Samsung Moment's current processor stack up against...Support

Last Updated:

1. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How well does it stack up against the more sophisticated processors used in the N1, Droid, Pre and Iphone. I'm hoping for a simple easy to understand comparison. Strengths weeknesses would be nice too. Thanks, in advance for any info provided

Advertisement
  2. Aygen

Aygen New Member

Palm Pre - 500mhz TI OMAP3430 (Underclocked from 600mhz)
    Iphone 3gs - 600mhz Samsung S5PC100 (Underclocked form 833mhz)
    Droid - 550mhz TI OMAP3430 (Underclocked from 600mhz)
    Nexus One - 1ghz Snapdragon Qualcom QSD8250
    Moment -800mhz Samsung SEC6410

Higher number = Faster CPU. (1ghz > 800mhz)

3. vbetts

vbetts Well-Known Member

The Pre and the Droid both use the Arm cortex A8. Which technically the clocked rate should be 600 mhz. I'm not sure what the Droid runs at, but the Pre runs underclocked at 500 mhz, and 600 mhz on 3d apps. The Samsung CPU uses Arm11, and is clocked higher. However, Cortex can process more data because of the added cache and memory read speed. So really, the 2 are about the same in terms of speed, Cortex may be a little faster in compression and extracting, but in overall performance if the app is cpu hungry then the higher clocked Arm 11 might have a small boost.

Not always true. Cortex has both a 64-bit and a 128-bit bus, while arm11 only has 64-bit. Then the cache, and how the cache is used greatly affects it. In the case of snapdragon, that'll be the fastest because it can handle more instructions per second.

Eazail70x7 likes this.
  4. globalninja

globalninja Well-Known Member

Doesn't necessarily mean that a phone is faster because its clocked faster. There is a thread on SDX benchmarking the Moment on 2.1. let me find it and try to find benchmarks from other devices from the sites

5. Eazail70x7

So while the Moment's processor is not the best, it still is considered pretty good?

6. vbetts

vbetts Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's decent but it's not as efficient as cortex.

7. heathershipp

heathershipp Well-Known Member

My phylisophy (sp?) is that if it works and does what you ask it to do, then it's good enough for me....

8. xbrokdikdogx

xbrokdikdogx Well-Known Member

I found the Moment's processor to be both good and bad. It seems like loading certain apps would be pretty quick, but the thing heats up like crazy, and also it gets sluggish when doing things. At least that is how it felt to me on the two moments that I had. I actually find the Hero and it's "slower" processor to be less sluggish when using the phone for any kind of extended period.

I would imagine a droid, especially over clocked, would blow the doors off either the Hero or Moment. Snapdragon, even under clocked, would blow the doors off either also.

9. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

So many assumptions, so little time. A computer, in this case a phone is way more than just a processor.

10. heathershipp

heathershipp Well-Known Member

They should've kept us at the simple flip phone like the Moto Razr lol... All this new stuff can be so complicating sometimes.... But yet we all like it and we all want more lol

11. dwolf312

dwolf312 Well-Known Member

Well the guys at sdx enabled jit on our phone's for leaked 2.1, if you haven't seen the post on here either, but the cpu is running at 2x to 3x faster with jit on and running crystal.

12. Eazail70x7

What is jit? (I'm noob)

And yeah, when I'm charging and heavily using my phone, it gets hot alright lol

13. dwolf312

dwolf312 Well-Known Member