how will Hero get Android updates? Donut?

Last Updated:

1. alexthearmo

alexthearmo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone... Since Sense UI is built over the top of Android 1.5 (cupcake)...what is going to happen when (I think they just released it actually) Android 1.6 (Donut) comes out? Can you update donut underneath the Sense UI skin? Or are you just stuck with 1.5? Same with Eclair?

Anyone know? let us know! Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Hi Alex ,

First off Android version 1.6 is not Donut it is simply 1.6 . Donut is 2.0 not due for release just yet. :)

I would Imagine HTC would Issue you with the Update jsut like any other update , it will most probably install underneath and you will see all the new features. Either way I'm sure you'll get it successfully!

Carl C

3. whytey

whytey Member

This blog post states that 1.6 is based off of the donut branch. And given the image they provide in the blog article, I think it is fair to state that 1.6 *is* intended to be donut.

4. alexthearmo

alexthearmo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

ya...i've read in multiple places that donut is just the upgrade to 1.6....not android 2.0. That would be eclair.

Either way...that is irrelevant to the question. I wanna know how Hero owners will get (or IF they will get) the upgrades? or do they have to wait for the upgrades to go through HTC to get the sense UI put on it? or can they just install under the current Sense UI (I kind of doubt that).

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

5. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member

My understanding is all updates to Hero must be from HTC, since it is a custom build of Android. So, HTC would need to build their UI on top of donut then release it as a new HTC Sense UI release. Thats OK with me, because their ver is already more capable than base android.

6. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

Will the new android have better bluetooth support? I miss file transfer etc..