• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root how would you use clockwork to flash Amon's RA?

cabbie

Android Expert
Mar 23, 2010
I used simpleroot to get fresh1.0 installed, and now trying to use freshupdater to get the FPS/overlock/etc fix installed but it doesn't seem to work. At first I tried clockwork, but it booted into a yellow exclamation+droid and had to pull the battery. Then I used simpleroot to flash RA recovery and then when I tried to freshupdate again, it got as far as 'formatting cache' and then the reboot/nand/wipe/etc options appeared and nothing happened.

I saw that flipz said you could use clockwork to flash Amon's recovery but he didn't elaborate how. Any ideas? Im soooo close!

I used simpleroot to get fresh1.0 installed, and now trying to use freshupdater to get the FPS/overlock/etc fix installed but it doesn't seem to work. At first I tried clockwork, but it booted into a yellow exclamation+droid and had to pull the battery. Then I used simpleroot to flash RA recovery and then when I tried to freshupdate again, it got as far as 'formatting cache' and then the reboot/nand/wipe/etc options appeared and nothing happened.

I saw that flipz said you could use clockwork to flash Amon's recovery but he didn't elaborate how. Any ideas? Im soooo close!

If you have already put Amon recovery on your sd then you go into the clockwork app and scroll to the bottom "FLASH ALTERNATE RECOVERY" and do that.

Otherwise you have two options for freshupdater.

1. Download Amon recovery and adb push it to your sd and then flash it.
2. download the update you want from the fresh updater and click "update later" when it asks. Then go into clockwork and reboot to recovery. Now, in recovery mode you need to scroll around to apply .zip from sdcard or something similar. then find the downloaded update from fresh updater and let it do its business. it will work that way, its just not as automated.

Upvote 0
If you have already put Amon recovery on your sd then you go into the clockwork app and scroll to the bottom "FLASH ALTERNATE RECOVERY" and do that.

Otherwise you have two options for freshupdater.

1. Download Amon recovery and adb push it to your sd and then flash it.
2. download the update you want from the fresh updater and click "update later" when it asks. Then go into clockwork and reboot to recovery. Now, in recovery mode you need to scroll around to apply .zip from sdcard or something similar. then find the downloaded update from fresh updater and let it do its business. it will work that way, its just not as automated.

ah yes, forgot to mention you have to have it on your sd :D and you mean go into rom manager

Upvote 0
I'm having problems w/ Amon Ra. I've gone ahead and used Rom Manager to flash it, but when I can't boot into Recovery. I get to the fastboot screen w/ the skateboarding androids and choose bootloader -> recovery, but it just goes back to the fastboot screen.

That is exactly what happened to me. How did this happen? Very frustrating. Can't boot into recovery..

Upvote 0
I'm having problems w/ Amon Ra. I've gone ahead and used Rom Manager to flash it, but when I can't boot into Recovery. I get to the fastboot screen w/ the skateboarding androids and choose bootloader -> recovery, but it just goes back to the fastboot screen.

Did you and the person right above this post use the SimpleRoot?

You should be able to use the 'Clean root files' from the 'extras' tab on SimpleRoot to get rid of the thing tripping you up.

You can manually do it by mounting your phone and deleting these from the sd card:

part1
part2
part3
flash_image
mtd-eng.img
PC36IMG.zip

these are the files that are pushed to the phone in Step1 and ya got to get rid of them.

When I boot into recovery, skating androids still loads and quickly looks for these for some reason I dont know, but will go back to the skating androids and im able to successfully select recovery. Still using RA recovery here though, but maybe it'll help. RA Recovery was able to flash the fresh update with fpsv2 fix for me. 47 FPS on the fps2d app! though a paltry 12.5 on nena ;(

I recommend that no one take my advice in life in general since I am forrest gumping my way through this.

Upvote 0
Why don't you guys try flashing RA through actual recovery instead? If you can't get into recovery, try flashing clockwork back and then flashing RA through clockwork?

when i try to boot directly into recovery (as opposed to using ROM manager) im seeing basically what happens in Step4 of simpleroot. It looks for the flash image and pc136 file, doesnt find them, then back to the skating androids screen. I deleted those files off the SD card, not sure how to fix that.

Upvote 0
when i try to boot directly into recovery (as opposed to using ROM manager) im seeing basically what happens in Step4 of simpleroot. It looks for the flash image and pc136 file, doesnt find them, then back to the skating androids screen. I deleted those files off the SD card, not sure how to fix that.

Thats just what it does. Its programmed to search for a img file upon booting into fastboot. If it doesn't find one, then it should give you your options (fastboot, recovery, etc.) You're just getting a blank screen with no options at all?

Upvote 0
nevermind im dumb ;) i had erroneously avoided hitting 'recovery' on the skating androids screen because when i did it for the first time, i got the triangle/exclamation mark error and had to pull the battery. Its working just fine now. Thanks for having me take another look at it ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones