• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How Your Phone Emitts Dangerous Radiation

Let's say I'm extremely sceptical. Clean, sharp bars radiating out in straight, symmetric lines at a very low frequency that I personally cannot relate to anything the phone's transmitter uses (it's much too low even for the pulsing of a time-multiplexed transmitter, never mind the carrier frequency). I cannot myself see anything there that looks like an actual phone's emissions (I am employed as a physicist by the way).

So personally my instinct is "fake".

Upvote 0
that is pure hogwash.

forget it.

the speaker has a magnet that radiates Magnetic Lines around it, in weaker and weaker circles.... the circle lines get so weak, that in about six inches, you can't detect them anymore.

just more pure crap "if it is on the Internet, then it must be True" crap...

this is my area of expertise, that is pure bunk.

Upvote 0
I didn't bother watching that but it's entirely possible that any device which is somehow sensitive to RF signals may do something when placed near a phone. All that tells you is the phone is emitting RF which means nothing, a phone is basically a radio transceiver (actually multiple radios in one).
And most consumer devices, toys etc are made with zero RF shielding especially the cheap Chinese stuff.

Upvote 0
I don't think anyone disagrees that phones emit electomagnetic radiation and with the proper device that can be detected.

As far as health effects, I recall some respectable organizations warning it would be wise to avoid small children putting cell phones next to their heads for long periods of time (because small children are more sensitive to radiation).

That said, I agree with Hadron and AZgl500, the video seems like a fake. I have a BS and MS in Electrical Engineering, I can't imagine what would cause that pattern. But I also have a hard time figuring out how one would go about producing the particular visual effect in the video....

Then I noticed the account name of the poster of the video "viralvideolabs". That rather sounds like someone that spends time trying to create special effects that will catch our attention. And probably use whatever social/internet approaches they can to promote their youtube video to viral.

op joins and posts first post asking this question about a relatively obscure youtube video (266 views). Yet OP says they saw the video on CNN. It is incomprehensible to me that a CNN-cited youtube video has only 266 views.

I am not in the habit of accusing anyone and certainly welcome anyone new to the forum. I just hope they'll stick around and participate in these great forums a little bit. Are you still around op? Can you explain a little more about how you got from CNN to that youtube video (was it a link from cnn site?) What kind of phone do you have? How has your android experience been?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am a Ham Radio aficionado, and have been since 1958....
I am only about 73 years young, and I have been using Hand Held Walkie Talkies since about 1965....
in the 144, 220, 440 megaHurtz range ( being funny )

and my brains are still just as addled as they were at the age of 16 when my pap took a switch to me because I did not get the hoeing done today.... he was quite adamant about me following his words of wisdom.... I survived both him and all of my ham radios..... in the car, I used a 1000 watt transmitter for a while, I do believe that is a little bit stronger than any cellphone is likely to radiate....

I have experienced several MRIs of my head ( an 18 wheeler tried to kill me once ), totalled my motorcycle.
there is nothing in this world as strong to your noggin as the radiation from the MRI machines.

forget about all of the hogwash that you see on "Internet: it must be true" crap.

Upvote 0
I vote we don't go too far down the rabbit trail of discussing cell phone radiation effects on health in this particular thread.
For those interested in more on this controversial and perhaps scientifically unsettled question, there is plenty of reading to do perhaps starting here
http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet
The concern seems to be potential increased risk certain cancer, particular brain cancer. Safe to say IF there is an increased risk, then it is small enough that it is requiring very large and long-term studies to find anything statistically significant.

For anyone intensely interested in discussing health effects of cell phone radiation (not me in particular), perhaps it should be another thread.

Why not discuss it right here? Because (pending response from op) I have to assume this entire post might simply be an attempt to get more traffic on a video (I have gone back and highlighted some relevant info in my previous post). I for one don't want to be an unwitting accomplice by debating the undebatable, which surely would keep the thread on top of the forum a long time, continuing to bring clicks onto that youtube video the whole time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is anyone else also bothered that the video clearly showed the toy's screen having to be manually cleared to "erase" the pen's lines/image and yet the phone's "radiation" somehow miraculously draws and clears lines/images on all of the surrounding devices in real-time?

:p ;) :rolleyes:

While we're all at it...

Why are there waves travelling to the phone? If they were incoming signals from the tower, they'd be continually present from all the ongoing calls in that area, and they would all be coming from one direction. If they were reflections of the phones signal from surrounding structures it's unlikely they'd be perfectly reflected, with equal strength, from all four cardinal directions.

Why don't the waves start before the phone starts ringing? Anyone who has placed their phone over a speaker knows that they do transmit a detectable signal to the tower before the call appears to arrive.

Why do the waves not appear affected by the magnetic strip you use to clear the toy's screen? You can't draw over the top of the bar with those toys, and that should weaken or negate the pattern over that area.

Why does the shadow on the toy to the immediate left of the phone look different to the rest of the toys? It's almost as if it's the only one that's not CGI....

Upvote 0
You take more rads flying in an airplane at altitude for 5 minutes.

http://www.techinsider.io/airplane-flight-cosmic-radiation-exposure-altitude-2015-11

Edit: Somehow a spam post became our "Hot Topic" of the day.

tumblr_nj6cg4I6Xh1trbh6do1_400.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones