Howdy; question about browser & form buttons

Last Updated:

1. jc42

jc42 New Member This Topic's Starter

Howdy, folks. I've had a G1 for some time, and one of the things I've been using it for is testing web sites. I have a number of web projects that should work with browsers on such small screens.

One problem that encouraged me to register here is that when I've been using a lot of form buttons. With the Android browser, these come out very large, and often appear on a separate line. This is a huge waste of vertical screen space, since the button (or row of buttons) takes up as much space as 3 lines of text, most of which is blank. I've been experimenting with CSS to fix this, to little avail.

Specific case: I'd like an "edit" button, sorta like what wikipedia does, at the lower right of a block of text (typically a <div> or <td>, sometimes just the end of a <form> chunk). So far, everything I've tried that puts the button at the right margin also generates a line feed, even if there's plenty of space after the preceding text. So there goes 3 lines of vertical space. If I say border=width:0px it decreases the space, but the "button" now looks like ordinary text, not like a button, and users don't recognize that they can press it.

Is there a solution to this? For a specific example:

This is a lotta text ... <input type=submit name=B text=edit>

Is there some way to put this in a <div> with CSS that puts the text at the left edge of a line, the "edit" button at the right edge of the same line, and the button looks like a button? Can this be done with no excess spacing above or below the line, other than what's needed to draw the button?

Getting rid of space-wasting stuff on tiny screens is a real PITA ...

(Now to see if I can actually use this forum ... and find any replies that may appear. ;-)

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums! :)

3. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

4. jc42

Hi. I've tried to figure out whether this was a reply to my "Howdy" message, or just a message posted shortly after mine, but this forum's UI doesn't seem to show any recognizable clues as to what messages are replies to which other messages. My question was about decreasing the wasted white space in web pages with the Android (G1) web browser. Were you saying that questions about web pages (CSS in this case) should be asked on the developers forum? That didn't strike me as an appropriate place, since my question isn't about developing software for Android, just about how to get the browser to render web pages in a space-efficient fashion.

OTOH, it would be useful to have better info than I've found on what sort of questions are welcome in which forums. One of the problems with the move of forums away from things like Usenet (with its consistent interface for all forums) to web-based forums (with a different, idiosyncratic UI for every forum) is that it can be very difficult to learn how to navigate each forum. This one seems especially confusing, as such things go, and it might take a while to figure out how it works. Remembering the details of each of a dozen or more web forums can be especially challenging.

I wonder if androidforums has a page somewhere that concisely lists all its features, so I could bookmark it for quick reference when I'm trying to use it?

5. Martimus

What I was suggesting was that you will probably get quicker responses by posting specific questions to a forum specific to the device/function that you are requesting. Management of Android Forums has asked that this forum be exclusively for introductions and not for technical support.

When I read your question it sounded like it was relating to application development. It that's not the case then I apologize for the confusion. You can try posting the question to the Android Applications forum if it's application specific (which it now sounds like).

6. jc42

Yeah, Applications seems like the right place. It's a "How do I get the browser to do X?" sort of question. Or rather, "How do I get the browser to NOT do X?", where X is "insert white space that uses up the phone's limited screen space".

So I'm guessing that the messages on the page I'm looking at are all replies to my original message. That was one of my conjectures, but I wasn't sure. I also don't remember how I got to this page originally, and if I close the window there's a good chance that I'll never find my way back here to see any further replies. But I'll keep exploring.

7. Martimus

Yes you are correct... this is a threaded forum so responses listed under your post are directly related to the thread you created.