How's 3G where you live -- and who's your carrier?

Last Updated:

1. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've have/had the Droid and I'm on the outskirts of Houston (about 30 minutes away). We drove all the way to Florida for Christmas. I had 4 bars phone and 3g web almost 80% of the time.

Of course, in Houston, it's 100%. Ive never seen it otherwise.
    Unfortunately, when I get home, (Brookshire area for those familiar), I lose internet and phone coverage altogether. Crazy, a few houses down the street, and it's 4 bars phone and 3G again.

Haven't seen any good coverage maps accept those produced by the carriers, and I've learned that those aren't as trustworthy as the actual users themselves.

What's everyone's luck in other areas... with TMobile, etc??

Advertisement
  2. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

Stafford, TX here which is pretty much considered Houston. I get great 3G coverage with TMO, about 1,400 kbps down and 700 up speeds.

I work near Westheimer & Beltway 8 and that's when coverage gets a little suspect (especially in buildings). I've experienced a myriad of different download speeds ranging from as high as 1,600 to as low as 250 depending on where I'm standing.

3. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Too funny -- that's my "Houston" drive everyday -- Stafford, Tx.... small world, huh?
    I work at Kirkwood/59.
    Wow... 1400 dn and 700 up kicks but!

4. Mykpfsu

Mykpfsu Well-Known Member

Tallahassee, FL. good 3g with Verizon. Should be the same for Sprint and AT&T. No 3G with tmobile not to mention crappy 2G with them.

5. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

Yea small world, I stay right behind the fountains near Loews Cinema. I've noticed in Houston that 3G coverage bounces all over the place. At work i'm constantly switching from 3G to edge to GPRS and then back to 3G.

6. gmjlopez

gmjlopez Well-Known Member

Groton CT is where I am from. I only get 3G when I don't need it. Most of the time I am on the EDGE network on my TMO G1.

7. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

Richfield (pretty much Minneapolis) MN here. Good 3G on Sprint all around south metro area. Speeds average about 1200/kbps down, 700 up.

8. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

There is good 3G coverage in Hampton Roads, Virginia (7 cities in the metro area) with Tmobile. Drops to Edge/2G on the perimeter of the area or inside of large buildings with few windows.

9. buckmemphis

buckmemphis New Member

Have the nexus one in houston, tx. Before the update was seeing speeds of 300-500 kbps on speedtest.net app at home in River Oaks/Montrose. At work near Galleria/Briargrove, speeds were 400-600. After update avg is around 900 kbps at both locations :D

10. pepperdro

pepperdro Member

Alaska, The whole state- T-Mobile. I only get Edge network. Once I hit the main states, though, I get it, but I travel so much, it would be hard to pin down which cities and states. Can't wait to settle down in Austin, Tx, though... RELIEF! lol

11. wigsajumper

wigsajumper New Member

Maine,

ATT forget about it. Edge or no coverage for most of the state. 3G up the I-95 are up to Freeport but that is it. Once you get away from the highway a bit Boom edge.

Verizon. Awesome coverage. 3G even up in the Grafton and Evans notch national park area (Bethel ME) hiking. I was able to upload pictures of my hike with no problem.

12. itmike

itmike Well-Known Member

I live in Carolinas and I'm saturated with 3g lol. I think the only time I've seen the 1x on my phone is in buildings.