How's 4G in DC?

Last Updated:

1. igot5onitt

igot5onitt Member This Topic's Starter

Curious as to how 4G speeds have been for DC users. From what I've heard it isnt "fully 4G" or the services is often "iffy". What kind of experiences have you guys had? How far down 395 have you received 4G signal?

Picking up my Evo tomorrow on BBuy's 2nd-batch!

Advertisement
  2. asaberan

asaberan Well-Known Member

I haven't ventured into DC with my Evo yet, but I can't get a 4G signal just a hair outside of the beltway on the Maryland side, for what it's worth...

3. jariten

jariten New Member

In Arlington and Alexandria I pick up signal regularly (i.e. unless I'm in my parking garage or an elevator it's there). Haven't done any speed tests or anything...but it seems to work well.

4. Nem_Zero

Nem_Zero Well-Known Member

I pulled 3.72 Mbps down with one 4G bar in Columbia Heights (NE) (around the corner from the Best Buy I got my phone from, ..on the day of :D)

I also had signal down by L and Half Street SW. No luck in buildings though (as to be expected) and I just connect via WiFi at home.

5. mynamewastaken

mynamewastaken Well-Known Member

3Mb/s down, 1Mb/s up in Sterling with a fairly low signal.

6. riggs6

riggs6 Member

3.5Mbs/down. 1.5Mbs/up in Arlington-Springfield. Really shocked about the speed in Springfield.

7. THEFORCE

THEFORCE Well-Known Member

similar speeds in Riverdale MD

8. mms1946

mms1946 Well-Known Member

I was in DC for a meeting on Wednesday and 4g had 3 bars on Constitution avenue, but I had a solid 5 bars on New York as I was driving back to MD. 4g died as soon as I hit 295.

9. THEFORCE

they havent turned all of the towers on in the 295 corridor. some areas along 295 have good coverage tho

mms1946 likes this.
  10. igot5onitt

I finally got mine and went to the roof.. very fast in NW! I'll have to do speed tests this week.

Very surprised about the svc in Springfield. It isn't listed on clears coverage sheet.

11. igot5onitt

15th floor roof. 16th/I, NW DC.

3G(full strength): .46mb down, .30mb up
    4G(full sprint strength, 1 4G bar): 1.61mb down, .81mb up

Tested w/FCC mobile broadband tester w/DC server.

12. bobgeorge

bobgeorge Well-Known Member

I live in Woodbridge & cannot get it there.

I have gotten 4G in Rosslyn outside my office building.

13. igot5onitt

I live in WB too and can't get 4G either. One day it will come!

14. johnblaze

johnblaze Member

Hi everybody. First post and i'm enjoying my first android device. In the "ballston common" section of Arlington 4g service is steady. I took some speedtests yesterday while being inside the Regal Cinema located at the ballston common mall....(was bored with a very bad movie that I should not have wasted $$$ on)

Got 4.92mbps download and almost exactly 1mb upload. Tried to post a screenshot from the speedtest.net app but the screen shot was too big to upload. Took 8 tests and all the upload speeds were 1.02-1.04 mbps....my downloads over these tests had a low of 3.03 mbps and a high of 4.92 mbps. 4g signal strength was very strong.

Baileys Crossroads area gets ok signal. My fastest tests there topped me out around 3.7mbps download and I'd say I average 2-2.5mbps on a regular basis. Uploads are also close to 1mbps.

Have not done a lot of tests in dc but on the red line subway, the above grond section of track from ny avenue to takoma park metro stations there is a 4g presence-but signal strength is spotty.

15. woodyp

woodyp Member

I have been testing the 4g speeds in random places. I started off with the Sprint Overdrive and got consistent 3 mbps down and 1.5 up in Alexandria (Old town area) and in the Crystal City area it is even better around 4.5 down and 1.5 - 2.0 up. Sprint out in the Reston area is slower around 1.5down/800kup. In SW DC around 2mbps down/1 up. In the Tysons Corner area it is somewhere in between. I loose 4G around Manassas, VA and it is spotty in that area anyway.

16. ray635

ray635 Member

Indoors. NY/Florida NE DC.

4G @ 1 bar fair signal strength avg from 2.1mb to 3 mb down, .314 mb to .491 up. I have gone up to 4 mb down last week.
    Outddoors driving NB new york towards 295 I did see up to 3bars but didn't get a chance to do a speed test.

17. THEFORCE

if you want to see where the coverage is go to clear.com and put your zip code in

18. HailRedskins

HailRedskins New Member

19. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Let me preface my comments by stating that I LOVE my EVO. My "build quality" is flawless and my battery life is fantastic. In short EVO rocks! 4G on the other hand, not so much...

For my DMV (D.C., MD, VA) peeps, I was at the Nats game last night and I decided to fire up the ol EVO during the half-innings when Strasburg wasn't pitching and guess what? I had a constant 4G signal that was full strength! My phone was FLYING!

Up until last night, I wasn't completely sold on 4G because the signal in D.C. is patchy (at best). But after getting a consistent, strong 4G connection for an extended period of time at Nationals Park, my love for the EVO grew exponentially! So for what it's worth, if you ever find yourself taking in a Nats game in D.C., you will have a strong 4G signal. This is particularly handy for those times when the Nats start stinking up the joint...

That said, I am still not completely sold on 4G, and I won't be sold on the value of 4G until I can go anywhere in the District and get a signal comparable to the one at Nationals Park. Cmon Sprint! You can DO this!

As you were...

20. jeffdlb

jeffdlb Well-Known Member

Zero bars of 4G here on New York Avenue near Metro Center station. Inside building next to a window

21. mcl1981

mcl1981 Well-Known Member

Well now don't I feel like a dumbass. I've had this phone since Jun 9th and I've been under the impression that they haven't started to roll out 4G in the DC area yet. So I never bothered to even turn it on. FML.

One 4G bar standing outside at 10th & Penn. 3mbps down, 1mbps up. Incredible. Too bad it doesn't work INSIDE. I could be the office hotspot!

22. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

One 4G bar in Glover Park. Full 4G coverage along Penn. Ave/M Street, NW (heading from downtown to Georgetown). 4G fades as you head up Wisconsin Ave though. I actually ride the bus to and from work just to use 4G! Might as well get my money's worth!

23. mcl1981

mcl1981 Well-Known Member

Several bars on 4G where I live in MoCo MD as well. I live right at the Grosvenor stop on the red line and it works great outside, on the metro (above ground), and in my highrise apartment building. 3mb down, 1mb up. My friends with their iPhones are still trying to think of a come-back.

24. RedWingsFan

RedWingsFan Well-Known Member

All I need is 4G along 495 between 395 and the toll road. And then the entire length of the toll road/greenway.

And i'll be happy.

25. thebearjew

thebearjew Member

One bar in Fairfax and Chantilly...