How's a non-techie to choose?

Last Updated:

1. Zilly13

Zilly13 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new phone, and am feeling pretty lost based on the research I've done. I am a complete non-techie, so I'm having a hard time understanding the terminology of operating systems and updates.

Essentially, I'm looking to upgrade to either the iPhone, Droid 2, HTC Incredible or Droid X. I currently have an LG Envy (personal) and blackberry (business) so I feel like any of these options would be a huge leap for me.

My criteria for a phone are:
    - Good sound quality/good speakerphone
    - Easy to use internet for email, FB, etc
    - User-friendly keyboard (virtual or physical) for typing and txt
    - A somewhat quality camera

Since I'm a low tech user, I'm a bit nervous about getting in over my head with any of these phones that could require updates/resets, etc. I also know its a matter of personal preference on phones, and I've toyed around with all the models. I guess I feel like I need smartphones for dummies.

Any suggestions are appreciated! :)

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Being a technophile and IT admin, it's hard to judge what is and is not easy or obvious. Many people looking for a user-friendly experience prefer the iPhone, but I find it a bit rigid and Draconian. Android for all its advantages still is advancing incrementally at the expense of usability in some cases. Tweaking will be necessary if advanced functionality is desired.

Now to your requirements ...

The sound quality and speaker are hardware specific, so each phone will be different. And, it will depend on whether you use wired headphones or bluetooth. I've always found LG phones to excel in this area, but they lag behind the curve with keyboards.

All smartphones are data hogs, if you let them. If email and messaging is priority, then Blackberry is still the best for that. For internet iOS and Android are the leaders, unless you need/want flash support, then Android is your only option out of the box.

Keyboards are all a matter of preference and some prefer physical, although I've never found a great benefit to them and they make the phone bulkier. iPhones have no physical keyboard, so if you want one look elsewhere. All virtual keyboards have their idiosyncrasies but many prefer an alternative to the stock for speed and accuracy. Swype is excellent but it is not available to buy if it didn't come bundled with the phone.

The iPhone 4 camera takes the best pictures out of the lot, but many of them are still very good. I guess it depends on the level of quality your demand. regardless, you can't have the best of everything in one phone.

3. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums BTW! :)

Ok. Since these seem like all Verizon phones and you plan on staying with a good carrier. No iphone for you!:p lol All the rest of these phones are <high pitch voice>AWESOME<high pitch voice>!. With android ya see, its what fits "YOU" the best. You dont have to have the same black or white phone with same shape, nothing unique to it but how many apps or what kind you have (or phone case). Android have a variety of phones for you to choose. The droid 2, inc and X all meet your criteria in a different way. So now which phone fits you? Big screen? Spacey virtual keyboard? (Droid X), perfect size phone, HTC SenseUI? (Droid INC), thin slide-out qwerty keyboards? (Droid II) It's your decision.

4. AmneonX

AmneonX Well-Known Member

+1. I agree entirely. I choose the droid x. 2 main reasons, didn't want to wait for DINC, and big screen.

I was gonna go with droid incredible as i liked sense.

Never looked at the iphone or droid 2.

USE THE FORCE YOUNG SKYWALKER.