• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how's the battery life?

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
  • May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    i like watches and i love gadgets so naturally, i'm interested in the samsung galaxy gear. but, i'm curious as to how the battery life is. how often do you guys have to charge it? is this a hassle? can you go a full day of use with no issues?

i may get one, but i wanted to see how it performs and what kind of battery life it will have.

i like watches and i love gadgets so naturally, i'm interested in the samsung galaxy gear. but, i'm curious as to how the battery life is. how often do you guys have to charge it? is this a hassle? can you go a full day of use with no issues?

i may get one, but i wanted to see how it performs and what kind of battery life it will have.

Battery time is not a problem :smokingsomb: I've had up to 56 hours before recharging. But usually I'm charging every night, like I do with my Note 3.
    ( Charging GEAR to 100% is less than 1.5 hours )

Reactions: KOLIO and ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    I charge mine every night along side my S3 and Note3 but have never seen the battery level less than 60% after a normal days usage of emails, notifications, messages, showing people the possibilities of the watch. Oh and telling the time.
    Dont worry about battery life. The charger is not the best idea but is easy to use so no problem really

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    My GEAR is arriving tomorrow,I'll post battery results after the weekend.

However,a co-worker of mine has been using his for about a week now & consistently is sitting @ 80% when returning home from work.(approx 12 hrs on-time)

The earlier reports of barely making it through a day's use were probably under extreme use scenarios & not real-life everyday use.

This device is a complimentary accessory & not the go-to/heavy use item that some bloggers/testers no doubt used as such,hence the doom & gloom over battery life. :rolleyes:

I say stop hatin' to da' haters : Either get one,or,SHADUUUUUUP already. :p ;) :D

Upvote 0
    I connected my watch last night to my s4 last night. Charged overnight. Have been messing around with it all morning, checking it every 5 min and I am at 89% still. I read ALL the reviews before purchasing and was worried that the watch would barely make it through the day. But so far I am very impressed and will keep everyone updated on battery status.
    Only thing that is bugging me so far is the screen going off to quickly. Anyone know if this is adjustable?

Upvote 0
    I connected my watch last night to my s4 last night. Charged overnight. Have been messing around with it all morning, checking it every 5 min and I am at 89% still. I read ALL the reviews before purchasing and was worried that the watch would barely make it through the day. But so far I am very impressed and will keep everyone updated on battery status.
    Only thing that is bugging me so far is the screen going off to quickly. Anyone know if this is adjustable?

Yes,screen time-out is adjustable,much like on the phone.

On your GEAR,go to HOME (watchface),then swipe from right-to-left/left-to-right (either way,doesn't matter) until you get to SETTINGS.
    TAP & you'll see various categories.Scroll down until you see DISPLAY.

TAP on SCREEN TIME-OUT & choose a value (7/10/15/30 SECONDS,1/5 MINUTES).

Upvote 0
    I wonder if black Friday prices would be cheap........I do plan on getting one.

Curious does anyone know if it is rootable yet?

I think I read somewhere on C-NET that someone has plans for sale pricing on Black Friday,can't find the link ATM.

This rooting thread on XDA began on 10/12/13,however,we've had several updates since then.I'd head over there for info on such..............

How to root your Samsung Galaxy Gear! - xda-developers

Upvote 0
    I think I read somewhere on C-NET that someone has plans for sale pricing on Black Friday,can't find the link ATM.

This rooting thread on XDA began on 10/12/13,however,we've had several updates since then.I'd head over there for info on such..............

How to root your Samsung Galaxy Gear! - xda-developers

Thanx......I know I detailed my own thread.......but hopefully this black Friday I will get one for myself.

But back on topic.....I'm glad tip hear that battery life is not as bad as some of the early reviews I have seen.

Upvote 0
    The reports of horrendous battery life were TOTAL B.S.

I honestly do not have a clue on how one could run this battery down during the course of the day.(12-18 hrs)

Closest I've come is about 65% (remaining,not used),
    & I've been using ATN MANAGER,which updates 2 Gmails/texts/email(Exchange account,which reads out the entire email,very cool).
    Not to mention the CHAT-ON feeds,which I have numerous(ENGADGET/MASHABLE/etc.....)

This watch gets better everyday,you won't be disappointed & even when smartwatch tech progresses,I promise you'll look back on the "early days" w/the Gear w/a smile........

Upvote 0
    I'm still baffled by the post on how long the life has been for some of you. I was at 63% this morning at 7am.....normal usage it was dead by 11am. If I keep hearing how great everyone's life is....I may be taking mine back for a different one.
    (Charging now to get full battery and I'll post what I get )
    Well I had a full charge this morning and now 14 hrs later I'm at 70%......gonna leave it off charge until tomorrow and see what charge is left.

Reactions: KOLIO
    Upvote 0

Battery life on Gear is fine but it does tend to drag the battery on the phone down a little more. No surprise there. I just plug both in every night and at times I may plug the phone in some while I'm work but it totally depends on how you use yours. No complaints though.

I've had mine on now for about 10 1/2 hrs and I'm at 67%

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones