how's the battery life?

1. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

i like watches and i love gadgets so naturally, i'm interested in the samsung galaxy gear. but, i'm curious as to how the battery life is. how often do you guys have to charge it? is this a hassle? can you go a full day of use with no issues?

i may get one, but i wanted to see how it performs and what kind of battery life it will have.

Advertisement
    :
  2. JTJ1957

JTJ1957 New Member

Battery time is not a problem :smokingsomb: I've had up to 56 hours before recharging. But usually I'm charging every night, like I do with my Note 3.
    ( Charging GEAR to 100% is less than 1.5 hours )
    KOLIO and ocnbrze like this.
  3. slatyford

slatyford Well-Known Member

I charge mine every night along side my S3 and Note3 but have never seen the battery level less than 60% after a normal days usage of emails, notifications, messages, showing people the possibilities of the watch. Oh and telling the time.
    Dont worry about battery life. The charger is not the best idea but is easy to use so no problem really
    ocnbrze likes this.
  4. Byair

Byair Well-Known Member

Full loaded tuesday morning 09:00 am and now wednesday morning 11:00 am the Gear's battery is at 63%.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  5. SebaKL

SebaKL Well-Known Member

I did notice that the battery gets better over time. The first day it drained quite quickly. Then seemed to be improving after the following few charges.
    Byair likes this.
  6. KOLIO

KOLIO NOTEoriously XPOSED Guide

My GEAR is arriving tomorrow,I'll post battery results after the weekend.

However,a co-worker of mine has been using his for about a week now & consistently is sitting @ 80% when returning home from work.(approx 12 hrs on-time)

The earlier reports of barely making it through a day's use were probably under extreme use scenarios & not real-life everyday use.

This device is a complimentary accessory & not the go-to/heavy use item that some bloggers/testers no doubt used as such,hence the doom & gloom over battery life. :rolleyes:

I say stop hatin' to da' haters : Either get one,or,SHADUUUUUUP already. :p ;) :D
  7. hworang

hworang Member

I connected my watch last night to my s4 last night. Charged overnight. Have been messing around with it all morning, checking it every 5 min and I am at 89% still. I read ALL the reviews before purchasing and was worried that the watch would barely make it through the day. But so far I am very impressed and will keep everyone updated on battery status.
    Only thing that is bugging me so far is the screen going off to quickly. Anyone know if this is adjustable?
    ocnbrze likes this.
  8. KOLIO

Yes,screen time-out is adjustable,much like on the phone.

On your GEAR,go to HOME (watchface),then swipe from right-to-left/left-to-right (either way,doesn't matter) until you get to SETTINGS.
    TAP & you'll see various categories.Scroll down until you see DISPLAY.

TAP on SCREEN TIME-OUT & choose a value (7/10/15/30 SECONDS,1/5 MINUTES).
    darkcyber and ocnbrze like this.
  9. darkcyber

darkcyber Well-Known Member

Battery life on mine is incredible. I take it off charger around 6 am and when I plug it back up at night, usually around 9 pm I still have 90-95% battery still left. This thing will probably run for 3-4 days on a single charge. Mine has never been below 85% when I've plugged it in.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  10. sib0rg

sib0rg Well-Known Member

All day still at 88%

Also only had 1 charge so far so expecting battery life to increase
    ocnbrze likes this.
  11. SebaKL

SebaKL Well-Known Member

After having that watch for a month, it lasts for two and half day of single charge, with fairly frequent use. I get lots of notification coming in, illuminating the screen (through 3rd party ATN Manager notification app). Not bad at all....
    ocnbrze likes this.
  12. DCLocal

DCLocal Active Member

I also think the battery life is very good, especially with the early reports of poor battery life. As mentioned above, my Gear is usually never below 70% at the end of the day and that is with a lot of use. As with my phone, all I want is a full day of use as it is most convenient to simply charge every night.
  13. ocnbrze

I wonder if black Friday prices would be cheap........I do plan on getting one.

Curious does anyone know if it is rootable yet?
  14. KOLIO

I think I read somewhere on C-NET that someone has plans for sale pricing on Black Friday,can't find the link ATM.

This rooting thread on XDA began on 10/12/13,however,we've had several updates since then.I'd head over there for info on such..............

How to root your Samsung Galaxy Gear! - xda-developers
    ocnbrze likes this.
  15. ocnbrze

Thanx......I know I detailed my own thread.......but hopefully this black Friday I will get one for myself.

But back on topic.....I'm glad tip hear that battery life is not as bad as some of the early reviews I have seen.
  16. KOLIO

The reports of horrendous battery life were TOTAL B.S.

I honestly do not have a clue on how one could run this battery down during the course of the day.(12-18 hrs)

Closest I've come is about 65% (remaining,not used),
    & I've been using ATN MANAGER,which updates 2 Gmails/texts/email(Exchange account,which reads out the entire email,very cool).
    Not to mention the CHAT-ON feeds,which I have numerous(ENGADGET/MASHABLE/etc.....)

This watch gets better everyday,you won't be disappointed & even when smartwatch tech progresses,I promise you'll look back on the "early days" w/the Gear w/a smile........
    ocnbrze likes this.
  17. SamV_11

SamV_11 Active Member

Wow...I guess I'm on mine non stop bc I'm reading over these times and I'm not getting anywhere near these times. Think I'm going to get a full charge and monitor it. From what I remember....I get less than a day.
  18. ocnbrze

ok so i just bought this yesterday......quick question.....should this be charged overnight? do i have to worry about overcharging it? when do you guys charge it?
  19. SamV_11

SamV_11 Active Member

I'm still baffled by the post on how long the life has been for some of you. I was at 63% this morning at 7am.....normal usage it was dead by 11am. If I keep hearing how great everyone's life is....I may be taking mine back for a different one.
    (Charging now to get full battery and I'll post what I get )
  20. slatyford

slatyford Well-Known Member

I have been using mine off charge since 8.30 this morning and now at 7.30 tonight the battery is at 90%
    ocnbrze likes this.
  21. ocnbrze

Well I had a full charge this morning and now 14 hrs later I'm at 70%......gonna leave it off charge until tomorrow and see what charge is left.
    KOLIO likes this.
  22. ocnbrze

well so far so good battery life is pretty good with this device.....i get almost two days off of one charge, depending on how much i use it(of course).

i'm very pleased with it so far.
  23. markyboy81

markyboy81 Well-Known Member

So far so good, I'm nearly through the 2nd day now and only down to 52% (I do switch it off overnight though)
    ocnbrze likes this.
  24. clitrenta

clitrenta Well-Known Member

Battery life on Gear is fine but it does tend to drag the battery on the phone down a little more. No surprise there. I just plug both in every night and at times I may plug the phone in some while I'm work but it totally depends on how you use yours. No complaints though.

I've had mine on now for about 10 1/2 hrs and I'm at 67%