How's the Google Navigation working in your area?

Last Updated:

1. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm on the outskirts of Houston. I was using a Garmin that was quite reliable. I started using the Google Navigation on the Droid and was instantly hooked.

I love hearing the actual street names and running it in "satellite" mode, so I can see the actual buildings and scenery.

However, over time, I've seen that it gets me to about 6 out of 10 destinations perfectly.

The ones it misses are usually at least pretty close, but sometimes I really have to search and sometimes find that it overshot the location by a mile or so, or that the big loop that took ten minutes to complete could have been eliminated by just turning right at "x" and left at "y"...

But still, I'm pleased with it and know that it will only improve as time goes on...

Advertisement
  2. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

It's going to take a few years for Google to get their map accuracy on par w/ Navteq. Google is building their own map database, and yes, as of right now it is full of errors. That being said, I've been mostly happy using Google Nav.

3. teschoen

teschoen Well-Known Member

I've been very happy with the nav. It hasn't missed for me yet, and has even found a very obscure place where the locals were impressed that I found it on the first try.

4. andrew_wiggin

andrew_wiggin Member

It's been fine for me, the only issue I had was that one time it thought I was in San Juan National Park when I was on 75 in Dallas... Weird.

5. rhyno

rhyno Well-Known Member

The first time I told google nav to go home, and, when I pulled up to my house, there was actually a picture of my house, I was hooked. Honestly, I have had very few issues with it here in new york. Has been 10x better than my garmin overall. The rerouting, in particular, has been much better than my old gps.

6. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

It's been good in Minneapolis, too. Except for the fact that I found two errors in maps very near my house, one being a cul-de-sac that doesn't join up to the main highway.

It's darned handy to have in my pocket. That said, I still like my Garmin's voices and the fact that the Garmin tells you what the turn AFTER the next turn will be, so you can get into the appropriate lane.