• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How's the Google Navigation working in your area?

kbayer

Android Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2009
Houston, Tx
I'm on the outskirts of Houston. I was using a Garmin that was quite reliable. I started using the Google Navigation on the Droid and was instantly hooked.

I love hearing the actual street names and running it in "satellite" mode, so I can see the actual buildings and scenery.

However, over time, I've seen that it gets me to about 6 out of 10 destinations perfectly.

The ones it misses are usually at least pretty close, but sometimes I really have to search and sometimes find that it overshot the location by a mile or so, or that the big loop that took ten minutes to complete could have been eliminated by just turning right at "x" and left at "y"...

But still, I'm pleased with it and know that it will only improve as time goes on...

It's been good in Minneapolis, too. Except for the fact that I found two errors in maps very near my house, one being a cul-de-sac that doesn't join up to the main highway.

It's darned handy to have in my pocket. That said, I still like my Garmin's voices and the fact that the Garmin tells you what the turn AFTER the next turn will be, so you can get into the appropriate lane.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones