Howto: Connecting DROID X to WiFi with D-Link DIR-615Support

Last Updated:

1. b3atboxjr

b3atboxjr New Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 18, 2010
    Recently I connected a D-Link DIR-615 to my comcast cable modem to upgrade to a router that supports 802.11n devices.

I have three wireless devices that I wanted to connect to this router: My Intel-based iMac, my Nintendo Wii, and my DROID X.

After I had initially set up the Wireless Area Network (WAN), my iMac and Wii connected no problem.

Though I had no problem connecting to the WAN with my DROID X either, I could not actually receive any data over it. In other words, my DX was connected to WiFi, but couldn't load web pages.

I went through a lot of trouble figuring this out, of course I couldn't find anything on the web that addressed my specific problem. So...
    This thread is to help people who find themselves in a similar bind.

I got very familiar with entering in into my browser on my PC (hardwired via ethernet to the router). Doing that took me to the admin settings for the d-link router.

After logging in, you are taken to the SETUP page. On the left-hand column, click "Wireless Settings."

At the bottom of the page choose "Manual Wireless Connection Setup."

My iMac is a 802.11n computer that understands both kinds of encryption (TKIP and AES), and can connect using either WPA/WPA2.

The DROID X is a 802.11g device that only understands TKIP encryption (apparently), and can also connect using either WPA/WPA2.

The Wii is a 802.11g device that only has three connection options - WPA (TKIP), WPA (AES), or WPA2 (AES).

To accommodate for all three you must choose:
    Under "802.11 Mode:" Mixed 802.11n and 802.11g
    Under "WPA Mode:" Auto (WPA or WPA2)
    Under "Cipher Type:" TKIP

You shouldn't need to change anything else, but DO remember to hit "Save" near the top of the page to make these changes.

Happy WiFi!

2. SamBru97

SamBru97 New Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Thank you for your post. This was the same problem that I had with connecting my Mot XT860 to a DLink DIR623. The IP address was always connecting but no webpages. TKIP only was the key.

Thank you.

3. gmasky

gmasky New Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Thanks for this post (specifically "Cipher Type:" TKIP only) I was finally able to connect my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 P3100 with one additional setting.

In the DIR-615 Setup page->Internet settings I had to enable Advance DNS for the wifi to work with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 P3100.