• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Howto: Connecting DROID X to WiFi with D-Link DIR-615

B

b3atboxjr

Recently I connected a D-Link DIR-615 to my comcast cable modem to upgrade to a router that supports 802.11n devices.

I have three wireless devices that I wanted to connect to this router: My Intel-based iMac, my Nintendo Wii, and my DROID X.

After I had initially set up the Wireless Area Network (WAN), my iMac and Wii connected no problem.

Though I had no problem connecting to the WAN with my DROID X either, I could not actually receive any data over it. In other words, my DX was connected to WiFi, but couldn't load web pages.

I went through a lot of trouble figuring this out, of course I couldn't find anything on the web that addressed my specific problem. So...
This thread is to help people who find themselves in a similar bind.

I got very familiar with entering in 192.168.0.1 into my browser on my PC (hardwired via ethernet to the router). Doing that took me to the admin settings for the d-link router.

After logging in, you are taken to the SETUP page. On the left-hand column, click "Wireless Settings."

At the bottom of the page choose "Manual Wireless Connection Setup."

My iMac is a 802.11n computer that understands both kinds of encryption (TKIP and AES), and can connect using either WPA/WPA2.

The DROID X is a 802.11g device that only understands TKIP encryption (apparently), and can also connect using either WPA/WPA2.

The Wii is a 802.11g device that only has three connection options - WPA (TKIP), WPA (AES), or WPA2 (AES).

To accommodate for all three you must choose:
Under "802.11 Mode:" Mixed 802.11n and 802.11g
Under "WPA Mode:" Auto (WPA or WPA2)
Under "Cipher Type:" TKIP

You shouldn't need to change anything else, but DO remember to hit "Save" near the top of the page to make these changes.

Happy WiFi!

Thank you for your post. This was the same problem that I had with connecting my Mot XT860 to a DLink DIR623. The IP address was always connecting but no webpages. TKIP only was the key.

Thank you.

Recently I connected a D-Link DIR-615 to my comcast cable modem to upgrade to a router that supports 802.11n devices.

I have three wireless devices that I wanted to connect to this router: My Intel-based iMac, my Nintendo Wii, and my DROID X.

After I had initially set up the Wireless Area Network (WAN), my iMac and Wii connected no problem.

Though I had no problem connecting to the WAN with my DROID X either, I could not actually receive any data over it. In other words, my DX was connected to WiFi, but couldn't load web pages.

I went through a lot of trouble figuring this out, of course I couldn't find anything on the web that addressed my specific problem. So...
This thread is to help people who find themselves in a similar bind.

I got very familiar with entering in 192.168.0.1 into my browser on my PC (hardwired via ethernet to the router). Doing that took me to the admin settings for the d-link router.

After logging in, you are taken to the SETUP page. On the left-hand column, click "Wireless Settings."

At the bottom of the page choose "Manual Wireless Connection Setup."

My iMac is a 802.11n computer that understands both kinds of encryption (TKIP and AES), and can connect using either WPA/WPA2.

The DROID X is a 802.11g device that only understands TKIP encryption (apparently), and can also connect using either WPA/WPA2.

The Wii is a 802.11g device that only has three connection options - WPA (TKIP), WPA (AES), or WPA2 (AES).

To accommodate for all three you must choose:
Under "802.11 Mode:" Mixed 802.11n and 802.11g
Under "WPA Mode:" Auto (WPA or WPA2)
Under "Cipher Type:" TKIP

You shouldn't need to change anything else, but DO remember to hit "Save" near the top of the page to make these changes.

Happy WiFi!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones