• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[HOWTO] Tether natively

I know I did this before with my old Samsung U540, but I can't get the computer to recognize the Incredible as a modem. What am I doing wrong? I didn't continue installation of the Vzw software after it installed the HTC driver... do I need to do it? USB debugging is disabled. My only choice for DUN is to use the modem already installed to the computer. Any tips?

Upvote 0
I wuld use the hot spot if I could... has to be usb for now.

I wanted to also clarify about the computer not picking it up... BroadbandConnect is enabled. The only choice the computer gives me is the built in modem for creating a dun. If I try to install a new modem, it says no new devices are found.

I know this is something simple... I just can't figure it out.

Upvote 0
Reactions: BossTone74
Upvote 0
sorry for the delayed responses, I've been away...
IIRC, this was 1x only, was it not? I don't remember ever getting 3G with the QPST/NVM editing stuff.
No, it applied to EVDO.

In the 1x days, VZW had their Express Network which wasn't an "extra feature" or additional cost add on. Its usage was bill per minute of use. (i.e. it cost the same as a phone call).
Here's an interesting angle on this: I am a former Alltel customer. I still have my Alltel plan. I have NOT signed up for a Verizon plan, despite the fact that I just got a new phone. I didn't change my plan, so there were no TOS to agree to about the data plan, etc.... because I did that with Alltel, and they didn't care about tethering.

As far as I am concerned.... I can tether if I like, and I encourage them to attempt to show me where I agreed not to do it. It would be quite entertaining to see what they do when they can't.
I don't know enough about the areas VZW took over from Alltel, but it is entirely possible that VZW is keeping the Alltel billing systems/plans separate at the moment. If they are, and you are grandfathered into a plan that DID include tethering, then you should be fine.

If VZW is bring those former Alltel users onto VZW rate plans, then its likely that the bill and recepit for your new VZW phone had T&C's or said something about activating the new phone signifies your agreement to extend your contract and adhere to the T&C printed on the receipt or verizonwireless.com

One thing people haven't mentioned yet, is that with Verizon, if you have a Palm, your data plan covers wifi tethering (for the same price we're paying for OUR data). So I don't see a problem if people do it on these phones too. I don't see why just Palms get the "right" to do that for the normal price.
Palm Pre and Pixi are different devices. The fact that VZW decided to bundle tethering for FREE with those particular devices, doesn't mean they extended the same benefit to ALL devices capable of tethering.

that is like saying, well Disney included DVD and Digital copy in the BluRay for Bolt, Snow White and Pinocchio at no added cost... While Meet the Robinsons and Cars don't have them in the pack, I should be entitled to them for FREE since they are also Disney BluRays that were priced the same as those others, and since Disney failed to put one in the box, I'll just take also take the DVD copy off the shelf home with me.

Your comment about being forced to have a data plan you don't want... Its VZW's network and branded phones. Its their rules. If you don't like them, its your choice to not purchase the device and service.

Again, people can try to justify it anyway they want to, that doesn't change what VZW has written in their Terms of Service which was agreed to by all VZW customers.

Anyone who thether's for "free", should know there are possible consequences, no matter how slight or great the chance for getting caught is.

As I said before... I'm not going to tell someone they can't do it. I'm not going to tell anyone they will or will not get caught.. I just want those who are doing this to know the facts, so they can make an informed decision.

PS: Yes, this hack does work with the 3G Mobile Hotspot built into froyo which supports "Access Point" mode, so there is no need for the "android tether for root" app from market (which last I looked only supported AdHoc mode).

Upvote 0
How can you confirm that the 3g hotspot "mod" has not added the verizon service to your account?

Some have mentioned that the Verizon hotspot sign-up page comes up the you try to use the hotspot feature for the first time. If you do not see the sign-up page does that mean the "mod" worked?
if you do not see the sign in page, the mod worked. and to confirm that this has not added the service to my account, my normal bill, for 2 phones with data is 124 per month, same as it has been since i first got the phone. no changes have occurred in my payments or on my bill since the tethering mod.

Upvote 0
Mine isn't working anymore. I don't use it real often, but needed it today. Probably last time I used it was couple weeks ago. Definitely worked after the recent update. Anyway. hotspot seems to set-up as usual but it will not assign an ip. I show a connected user but only the mac address shows up. The message on my laptop is Connected with Limited or no connectivity. Same thing on 3 laptops. I've checked all the obvious settings. I've put the "dun" back and removed it again. I've been uninstalling apps I've installed lately. Can't get it to work. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

EDIT: So I looked again through the settings and duh! somehow DHCP was disabled. All better.

Upvote 0
Rooting sounds like a great thing, but right now the only thing I want is WiFi tethering. I found the following instructions to get free WiFi tethering on my Incredible using verizons hotspot app that came with with Froyo upgrade a few months ago.. So far , it works fine (although I do have to reset the wireless adapter on whatever machine I want to tether to the phone, but that only take 2 seconds).

1. Dial ##778
2. Go into edit mode
3. The password is 000000
4. Once in go to M.IP Default Profile and edit DUN NAI from yournumber@dun.vzw3g.com to yournumber@vzw3g.com.
5. Then hit menu and press commit modifications.
6. It should then reboot.
7. FREE WiFi!!!

Upvote 0
Mine isn't working anymore. I don't use it real often, but needed it today. Probably last time I used it was couple weeks ago. Definitely worked after the recent update. Anyway. hotspot seems to set-up as usual but it will not assign an ip. I show a connected user but only the mac address shows up. The message on my laptop is Connected with Limited or no connectivity. Same thing on 3 laptops. I've checked all the obvious settings. I've put the "dun" back and removed it again. I've been uninstalling apps I've installed lately. Can't get it to work. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

I've gotten EPST force close errors after the latest crapware updates. Just wanted to check and make sure the settings were still there. I never used it much, but this did work wonderfully.

Upvote 0
Steps:
1) Dial ##778, SEND
2) EPST dialog comes up. Select 'Edit Mode'. Enter SPC (000000), hit OK.
3) Scroll to down to 'Security', select it. Change 'S.IP DUN User name' to yourvzwnumber@vzw3g.com (from yourvzwnumber@dun.vzw3g.com)
4) Hit back arrow to go back and go/select 'M.IP Default Profile'. Change 'DUN NAI' to yourvzwnumber@vzw3g.com (from yourvzwnumber@dun.vzw3g.com)
5) Hit menu button, and 'Commit Modifications', phone will save changes and reboot.

Modem drivers can be found on VZAccess Manager for Windows XP/Vista/7 -- the VZAccess executable will install the drivers when it first runs before launching its installshield runtime. No need to continue and install the actual software. *nix people can use their built in PPP dialers once they set up the right USB connection parameters to detect the phone as a modem.

Edit: This should help for Ubuntu users and possibly other Linux users: [SOLVED] HowTo set up EVDO card or usb enabled phone(CDMA) - Ubuntu Forums

Not sure about MAC OS users, perhaps someone else can comment.

This uses the 'Mobile broadband connect' option of USB connection. Simply make a DUN connection using the HTC USB Modem and dial #777. No need for username/password... can leave those blank.

Is there another option to wifi tethering?
Cannot get past the first step. I dial ##778 dial. My phone does not have send. Does this mean this will not work on my phone?

Upvote 0
Rooting sounds like a great thing, but right now the only thing I want is WiFi tethering. I found the following instructions to get free WiFi tethering on my Incredible using verizons hotspot app that came with with Froyo upgrade a few months ago.. So far , it works fine (although I do have to reset the wireless adapter on whatever machine I want to tether to the phone, but that only take 2 seconds). Works great!

1. Dial ##778
2. Go into edit mode
3. The password is 000000
4. Once in go to M.IP Default Profile and edit DUN NAI from yournumber@dun.vzw3g.com to yournumber@vzw3g.com.
5. Then hit menu and press commit modifications.
6. It should then reboot.
7. FREE WiFi!!!

Worked for me!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones