• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HP 12C Calculator Application

Hi all; I'm the author of RpnCalcPro. It doesn't have the same layout as the HP12C (I intended to use it in portrait mode), but it has all the same functions except for programmability. It's $5 at present. More info at RpnCalc Pro

I've gotten some feedback from people asking that I make they layout exactly like an HP12 in landscape mode, so I'm working on it. It's a little tricky because an android screen is much smaller than a real HP12, so squeezing it all in is rather difficult. I have it working now for the Archos, and with a little tweaking, I can get it to fit on G1 and Droid. Look for the new layout soon.

Since I have a number of interested people here, I'd like to do a quick user survey:

Do you use the programming functionality of the HP12? I haven't seen a need to add it to the calculator app, but I might if there's a demand.

Do you find the HP12's n,i,PV,PMT,FV functions ambiguous? That is, do you have trouble knowing if the key will enter a value, or compute it? (I added a "Find" key to my calculator to remove the ambiguity, but maybe it's not needed.)

Also: the cash-flow calculations (Cf0, Cfi, etc.) Do you ever use these? Do you edit the stored values? Do you change the Ni values?

Other differences between the android app and the real thing: I have 20 memories, whereas I think the real one only has 10. The stack has 16 levels instead of 4. Statistics have their own registers rather than being stored in the main memory registers. I'm going to guess this doesn't cause anybody problems.

In general, I'm interested in whatever feedback you might have.

-ed falk
Dear Ed,

RpnCalcPro is just what I was looking for but unfortunately international users cannot buy stuff off the AndroidMarket. Only freely available software is shown to us. A work-around this that I've seen (for instance for SplashData's SplashId password manager) is to buy it directly from the authors and then download the .apk from them.

Do you have any plans to providing RpnCalcPro this way?

Thank you,

Upvote 0
Almost all real estate appraisers use the HP 12c. It's a requirement for a lot of the Appraisal Institute courses, and they teach a course on how to use the HP 12c. I've seen it on the iphone, and it's a wonderful tool. I prefer Verizon service and have the Droid...but I need the 12c. You think it's difficult to teach a 35 yr old a new calculator, try a 60 yr old.

Reactions: Skimonster
Upvote 0
Looks like Ed Falk has released his HP-12C mode for RPNCalcPro. Just downloaded the update on the market. It looks fab! Same key layout as a 12C when RPNCalcPro is in landscape mode!!! He's managed to squeeze most things onto the screen somehow.

It doesn't looks exactly the same aesthetically (ie exactly the same look as a 12c), but still looks like a HP calc thanks to the natural look of RPNCalcPro. Key layout is the same which is important!

Am very happy! :) Thanks so much Ed.

Upvote 0
Hi all; I'm the author of RpnCalcPro. It doesn't have the same layout as the HP12C (I intended to use it in portrait mode), but it has all the same functions except for programmability. It's $5 at present. More info at RpnCalc Pro

I've gotten some feedback from people asking that I make they layout exactly like an HP12 in landscape mode, so I'm working on it. It's a little tricky because an android screen is much smaller than a real HP12, so squeezing it all in is rather difficult. I have it working now for the Archos, and with a little tweaking, I can get it to fit on G1 and Droid. Look for the new layout soon.

Since I have a number of interested people here, I'd like to do a quick user survey:

Do you use the programming functionality of the HP12? I haven't seen a need to add it to the calculator app, but I might if there's a demand.

Do you find the HP12's n,i,PV,PMT,FV functions ambiguous? That is, do you have trouble knowing if the key will enter a value, or compute it? (I added a "Find" key to my calculator to remove the ambiguity, but maybe it's not needed.)

Also: the cash-flow calculations (Cf0, Cfi, etc.) Do you ever use these? Do you edit the stored values? Do you change the Ni values?

Other differences between the android app and the real thing: I have 20 memories, whereas I think the real one only has 10. The stack has 16 levels instead of 4. Statistics have their own registers rather than being stored in the main memory registers. I'm going to guess this doesn't cause anybody problems.

In general, I'm interested in whatever feedback you might have.

-ed falk

Love the HP-12c key layout in landscape financial mode in RPNCalc Pro Ed! Been working thru some of the examples in the HP-12C manual - so far everything gets the same result! Excellent work.

Here is a screenshot of Ed's new HP-12c layout in landscape financial mode for RPNCalc Pro

buscalc2.png

Upvote 0
Dear Ed,

RpnCalcPro is just what I was looking for but unfortunately international users cannot buy stuff off the AndroidMarket. Only freely available software is shown to us. A work-around this that I've seen (for instance for SplashData's SplashId password manager) is to buy it directly from the authors and then download the .apk from them.

Thank you,

I second that.
For me too only free apps are available from Android Market.
I want to buy your app but I cannot.
As another workaround, for instance, I have bought the full license for Docs to Go and unlocked the full functionality on the app itself. Thanks!

Upvote 0
This link will take you to HP calculator apps for the iPhone. Having recently seen a friend's 3Gs using the 12c, it's as close to perfect as you can get outside the calculator itself.

On Tuesday, the Nexus One vs. the iPhone 3Gs competition will begin in earnest. I'd love to see a fully-functional 12c - including keystroke programming - for Android. The other 5 or 6 apps in my decision criteria can be reasonable facsimiles, but the 12C app needs to be spot on!

Just $0.02 from a newbie here.

Upvote 0
Thumbs up for the RPC Calc Pro. Not as good as the iphone app I played with on a friend's phone, but well worth the $5 and the best option right now on Android.

Thanks for this. I'm eager to see RPC Calc Pro on a Nexus One. That and 5 or 6 other applications are going to guide my choice between the iPhone & the Android path.

It's been great to get acquainted with just how thoroughly this forum covers the Android products. Still learning how the Android/Google contacts, to do lists, appointments, notes, etc., compare with the HP200LX. That was a product ahead of its time in many ways. I'm ready for Android to better it in every way. :)

Again, many thanks.

Upvote 0
This link will take you to HP calculator apps for the iPhone. Having recently seen a friend's 3Gs using the 12c, it's as close to perfect as you can get outside the calculator itself.

That rlmtools version of the 12c does look awesome doesn't it!

Quite interesting they even have a 12c Lite that doesn't have programming either.

Ed has done a really good job with RPNCalc Pro. For $US5 its very good value. Am really happy with it.

Am sure someone else will also make a completely accurate version like the ones we see for the iphone eventually

Upvote 0
Hi all; just a quick update. The latest version looks as close to an HP12 as I could make it. It's not programmable, so many of the functions don't do anything, but I've left the labels on for now.

This weekend, I'll be putting up a version with an improved appearance, especially on Droid.

I've been surveying my users, and NOBODY has said they program their hp12, so it looks like I won't be adding programmability to RpnCalcPro any time soon.

Upvote 0
I need to put in a vote for the CF0 CFi functions. I use them alot on my 12C. I have used the 12C from Lygea on my WinMo phone for years. Lygea is able to fit the full functionality of the 12C on a smartphone screen in both portrait and landscape. You may be able to gain inspiration from their layout.

OK, the good news is that I do have the Cfo/Cfi functions. The only thing missing is the ability to edit the Ni values but I'll look into adding that functionality.

I never heard of Lygea before; I'll take a look and see if their screenshots give me any inspiration. I've been using RpnCalcPro a lot, and haven't had much trouble hitting the buttons, so I'll probably leave things as they are. I experimented with scrolling layouts to have bigger buttons, and found them nearly unusable. You really do need to have all the buttons on the screen together.

Upvote 0
... A work-around this that I've seen (for instance for SplashData's SplashId password manager) is to buy it directly from the authors and then download the .apk from them.

Google's lack of support for foreign countries is the biggest complaint I've had so far. Why Google does it this way is not clear to me. (Sometimes it seems that the entire design philosophy of the android market is to make the experience as painful as possible for both sellers and buyers.)

Making an app available outside the android market would break the copy protection, but rumor says that's easy to break anyway, so I'm seriously thinking about making RpnCalcPro available outside the market. If that happens, I'll post an update here.

Upvote 0
Hi all; just a quick update. The latest version looks as close to an HP12 as I could make it. It's not programmable, so many of the functions don't do anything, but I've left the labels on for now.

This weekend, I'll be putting up a version with an improved appearance, especially on Droid.

I've been surveying my users, and NOBODY has said they program their hp12, so it looks like I won't be adding programmability to RpnCalcPro any time soon.

Very well done! I really like the look and feel of this. I am using on a Droid.

I do not use the programming functions of the 12c, so not an issue for me. Mostly its financial functions.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Good job Ed! The improved contrast looks good on the HTC Magic.

cheers!

Upvote 0
I never heard of Lygea before; I'll take a look and see if their screenshots give me any inspiration. I've been using RpnCalcPro a lot, and haven't had much trouble hitting the buttons, so I'll probably leave things as they are. I experimented with scrolling layouts to have bigger buttons, and found them nearly unusable. You really do need to have all the buttons on the screen together.

Another option for a look & feel is ameloconsulting's HP-12C for the iphone

12cL.png

See they also have the stack vars that RPNCalcPro has with Y, Z, T but across the top. You might have some space for the key spacing if you did the same. They've also made the "f" & "g" keys the same colour as a real HP-12C. And they even tried to emulate the sloping keys.

Upvote 0
I'll give running them across the top a try, see how it looks.

The other calculator apps have lots of space between the keys, whereas I ran the keys right next to each other to make them bigger. Do any users of the iPhone calculator apps have any comments on how the smaller keys are to use? I have to admit it looks better that way, but I'm worried about usability.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones