• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HP TouchPad battery drained and won't turn on... please help

I didn't have issues with the charger, was always able to get the charge symbol to show up on the tablet. It would never auto boot after sitting for a minute like it usually did.

What I did was let the tablet sit for 5+ minutes with the charging symbol showing.

Then... long press the power button only on top until it shows the boot loader. This worked for me. Now I'm in CM9 and it's up to 3% within a few minutes and doing fine.

HTH someone...

Upvote 0
I didn't have issues with the charger, was always able to get the charge symbol to show up on the tablet. It would never auto boot after sitting for a minute like it usually did.

What I did was let the tablet sit for 5+ minutes with the charging symbol showing.

Then... long press the power button only on top until it shows the boot loader. This worked for me. Now I'm in CM9 and it's up to 3% within a few minutes and doing fine.

HTH someone...

You got lucky this time. If you continue to let your battery drain to zero like this you are not only damaging the battery, but one day your TP will refuse to charge up at all. Best practice, never let the battery drain below 20%. At the end of the day regardless of how much the battery is down, recharge it.. At night, or when not using it for as extended period of time, charge it up and then turn it off. That way, you don't accidentally forget about it and find it days later drained and refusing to charge up.

Upvote 0
The same thing happend to me...will not charge with TouchStone or Touchpad charger. Thought the unit was bricked. No matter what button combo, etc..nothing happens!!!!
To fix this, on a hunch I plugged in a Samsung phone charger which for some reason I could see that the app close button on the front of unit immediatey started flashing. After a few minutes, the charging symbol appeared and then it complained it was the wrong type of charger. Immediately, I plugged in the normal charger and voila!! Working again!!!
Can't figure out why this happens, but each time it is because of an accidental and complete discharge. For some reason, the regular charger will not kick start the charging process. This has happened to me twice now.

Upvote 0
The same thing happend to me...will not charge with TouchStone or Touchpad charger. Thought the unit was bricked. No matter what button combo, etc..nothing happens!!!!
To fix this, on a hunch I plugged in a Samsung phone charger which for some reason I could see that the app close button on the front of unit immediatey started flashing. After a few minutes, the charging symbol appeared and then it complained it was the wrong type of charger. Immediately, I plugged in the normal charger and voila!! Working again!!!
Can't figure out why this happens, but each time it is because of an accidental and complete discharge. For some reason, the regular charger will not kick start the charging process. This has happened to me twice now.

STOP letting it discharge down to zero, or next time you may not be as lucky.

Upvote 0
Hi everybody. I think I may have one of the reasons why this happens. Mine is HP 32gb, with the newest cyanogenmod android on it, which should not matter, but just fyi. I live in a humid city and every year like clockwork when the weather turns humid, this thing doesn't charge, no matter how long I leave it on the wireless or usb charging cable. This year, same thing. I have left it for over a week and now it boots within 5 minutes of using usb cable with original charger. g/luck!

Upvote 0
Hi everybody. I think I may have one of the reasons why this happens. Mine is HP 32gb, with the newest cyanogenmod android on it, which should not matter, but just fyi. I live in a humid city and every year like clockwork when the weather turns humid, this thing doesn't charge, no matter how long I leave it on the wireless or usb charging cable. This year, same thing. I have left it for over a week and now it boots within 5 minutes of using usb cable with original charger. g/luck!

You should try packing it is some desiccant for a few days to dry it out. Maybe even keep it there when not using it. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
One thing I would add. I left my TP in the latest CM9 to charge and when I came back it was at a black screen and would not wake. I did the home + power and it came back up.

But here is the thing. I held it for 2 minutes before the HP logo finally showed. I timed it. Most people when you tell them to hold a button for a minute will say they have, when in reality they didn't even come close. I have timed people I am trying to help and they never even come close. Most of the time we are stressed when we come down to a hard reset and feel like we have been holding that button combo forevr when in actuality it's just a few second.

I always suggest you keep your watch or a clock handy and time it. 9 out of ten times it can make the difference between getting a device back up or more frustration and time wasted n a "bricked" device. I'm not saying that 2 minutes is the magic number, some people have said it took them as much as 5 but timing it can provide a tool to focus on and maybe get your tab back up and running sooner.

Upvote 0
One thing I would add. I left my TP in the latest CM9 to charge and when I came back it was at a black screen and would not wake. I did the home + power and it came back up.

But here is the thing. I held it for 2 minutes before the HP logo finally showed. I timed it. Most people when you tell them to hold a button for a minute will say they have, when in reality they didn't even come close. I have timed people I am trying to help and they never even come close. Most of the time we are stressed when we come down to a hard reset and feel like we have been holding that button combo forevr when in actuality it's just a few second.

I always suggest you keep your watch or a clock handy and time it. 9 out of ten times it can make the difference between getting a device back up or more frustration and time wasted n a "bricked" device. I'm not saying that 2 minutes is the magic number, some people have said it took them as much as 5 but timing it can provide a tool to focus on and maybe get your tab back up and running sooner.

A normal forced reboot(power + home) should not take more than 30 seconds, but your are correct, holding it longer may be required. You may want to go visit this thread:

[ROM] [04/18] How to install jcsullins CM10 Unofficial Preview Builds Edited 5/1/13 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki

and scroll down to the troubleshooting section and read the A6 firmware fix. It might help. I even posted about it in this forum a few days ago here:

http://androidforums.com/hp-touchpa...our-touchpad-flash-your-a6-chip-firmware.html

You also might want to read the first post in this thread: http://androidforums.com/hp-touchpad/708730-reading-may-save-you-bricking-your-touchpad.html

Upvote 0
A normal forced reboot(power + home) should not take more than 30 seconds, but your are correct, holding it longer may be required. You may want to go visit this thread:

[ROM] [04/18] How to install jcsullins CM10 Unofficial Preview Builds Edited 5/1/13 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki

and scroll down to the troubleshooting section and read the A6 firmware fix. It might help. I even posted about it in this forum a few days ago here:

http://androidforums.com/hp-touchpa...our-touchpad-flash-your-a6-chip-firmware.html

You also might want to read the first post in this thread: http://androidforums.com/hp-touchpad/708730-reading-may-save-you-bricking-your-touchpad.html

Because I got my Touchpad used I ran the A6 firmware flash as one of the first things. I have very little drain when sleeping and I don't think that had anything to do with why it locked up. It was at 100% charge when it did boot. It cold be I had just changed kernels before charging, the overclock was set to 1.9 high and low because I was testing battery drain @ max settings.

I had dropped everything back to normal before charging but who knows. I was just pointing out when people do various buttom combos sto reset or restart any device they tend to think they have held it forever when they haven't held it but a few seconds so actually timing it helps. I agree a normal reset should take less than a minute.

Upvote 0
Hey Rabid1. I agree. Sometimes you just have to hold those buttons down forever before you get any response. Same thing applies when flashing or upgrading. Patience is a virtue. Don't start unplugging smashing buttons and giving the thing the heimlich maneuver if you're staring at a black screen longer than you think you should. These things often seem to take longer than described. Walk away, go get drunk, walk the dog, bake a cake Whatever.

I find even when powering up some times it boots up in a few seconds. Sometimes it seems to take a minute before I see any response on the screen..

Upvote 0
Hey Rabid1. I agree. Sometimes you just have to hold those buttons down forever before you get any response. Same thing applies when flashing or upgrading. Patience is a virtue. Don't start unplugging smashing buttons and giving the thing the heimlich maneuver if you're staring at a black screen longer than you think you should. These things often seem to take longer than described. Walk away, go get drunk, walk the dog, bake a cake Whatever.

I find even when powering up some times it boots up in a few seconds. Sometimes it seems to take a minute before I see any response on the screen..

Have you read this? http://androidforums.com/hp-touchpad/708730-reading-may-save-you-bricking-your-touchpad.html

Upvote 0
LOL About three weeks back I had a guy send me his Dragon touch 9.7 because he couldn't get my ROM to flash. He swore up and down he did everything right, was very gentle with the tablet. In the back case there was a small indentation and it was right where your index finger would be if you were holding the tablet sideways to push in the USB plug. I was surprised there wasn't a crack in the screen on the opposite side.

We get impatient and it is proof that time is relative.

Upvote 0
My wife complained that the touchpad on her laptop didn't work the first time and she had to tap it repeatedly.

One day she tapped it so hard the touchpad broke off and fell down inside the tablet about 1/4". She is not a big woman. :D

I still don't know why she wasn't using a mouse instead.

Upvote 0
I would try a different cable if you have one first. the stock cable on the personal edition Touchpads was just slightly above terrible. Then check the top of he barel on the charges, sometimes they do come loos. Just give it a little turn to the right to make sure it is locked in. If you have access to a Touchstone that can tell you if the charger itself is bad. If that doesn't work try forcing your Touchpad into recovery and running WebOS Doctor.

Here is a simple tutorial for WebOS Doctor.

To force recovery on the Touchpad hold power and volume until you see the USB symbol appear. It can take anywhere fro 30 seconds to 2 minutes for it to show.

BTW, It wasn't plugged into a charger the entire time you were gone was it?

Upvote 0
After several days of frustration I decided to gently rap my hp on the table.... by golly ----it worked-it is now charging normally. I had tried ALL of the suggestions on this thread and none of them worked....maybe there is a loose connection or bad solder joint somewhere in the circuit.......thanks to all for the suggestions... if nothing else works for you try what worked for me....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones