HPSA/GPRS Questions

Last Updated:

1. lue42

lue42 Member This Topic's Starter

Greetings!

I'm the happy owner of a Bell Legend.

I usually have the Mobile network turned off, to save the battery but mostly because I don't want to use my limited data allotment.

Today I was out about 60 miles away from home; I had a decent cellular connection, no Wi-Fi because I was out of range and no data because it was turned off...or so I thought.

Without me turning anything on There it was the "H" for HPSA was in the status bar; occasionally sending and receiving data.

I did use the GPS for a while and I would have thought that if it needed a data connection a warning would have popped up.

I tried the obvious, turning on and off the Mobile network, but the "H" remained.

One back in the city the "H" remained, the only way to reset my phone was to reboot.

Has anyone else seen this?
    Feature?
    Bug?

Thanks for the info.

LUE

Advertisement
  2. nolook

nolook Active Member

could be the a-gps (think this is the term) feature when it uses data at 1st to get gps signal quicker?

3. zappa420

zappa420 Active Member

look for APN onoff in the market, it will completely turn off your mobile network so nothing can connect to it,
    even with the mobile network off under the network settings, some application can and will still connect to it. with apn onoff i believe it temporarly changes something the access point name so it can't connect.
    i use it and it works great

4. Fish-Bone

Fish-Bone Well-Known Member

if you are using GPS navigation and the data-transfer icon shows up, you shouldn't be worried. Ive been using my gps abroad and it showed the E and H icon sometimes. But when my bill came, there was no fee for 'data roaming'.
    You can try downloading 3g watchdog as it monitors your data usage. Really helpful tool.

5. lue42

Thanks for the replies,

I'm not as concerned about the GPS system using various data networks as I am about not being able to turn them off without rebooting my phone.

Any Ideas about that?

Thanks

6. Fish-Bone

Fish-Bone Well-Known Member

Switch to airplane mode and then back again.

7. lue42

I tried that..no change.

What I did notice is that when a wi-fi network comes into range things go back to normal.

I'm going to keep doing some research...

Thank you all for the help and information.

LUE42