HSDPA connection problem

Last Updated:

1. hotweldfire

hotweldfire Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

Android noob having bought my Hero through expansys with an attached (12m) T-mob contract about 6 weeks ago.

Overall working ok (but with similar issues such as lagginess that others have had) and am very impressed with the phone. However last two days I have a serious issue that I can't resolve and was hoping somebody else here might have had the same problem and have a solution.

Since yesterday I can't get a 3G connection. Was working fine on Friday (making very heavy use of Wikitude on Friday night) but not a sniff since. Problem is across all apps - getting no data connection unless I hook up to wifi (which works fine). Am getting HSDPA icon telling me it's both sending and receiving data but nothing's coming through - all apps telling me they can't connect to network/server. Have tried the following but with no success:

- Spoke to tmobile who, after initially trying to fob me off because I didn't buy the phone through them, told me they've reset my account and that I should rip the battery out whilst on, then take out the sim and then put only the battery back in. Turn on, rip out battery again, reinsert both sim and battery and wait 15 sec then turn on and test. No joy.
    - HTC FAQs say loss of connection might be down to recently installed third party apps interfering. Only thing I've installed recently is Places (by google) which I've uninstalled. No joy.
    - Tried turning data always on off then on, re-registering to the network both automatically and manually selected t-mob, turned roaming allowed on and off, played with every other setting I can find. No joy.
    - Finally managed to get a data connection by selecting only use 2g connections. Toggling on and off reveals I can only connect through GPRS.

I will speak to tmob tomorrow but I know they won't help (last phone was through expansys and got no help off them then). Will also speak to HTC but fear that they will suggest hard resets and I really don't want to go there given I've spent literally weeks setting this up and manually cleaning up my contacts etc.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. Artaq

Artaq Active Member

I must say that might be the only thing, to say is to reset the whole phone. I ask that anyone here can say otherwise.

3. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

While doing the contacts spring clean, did you sync with google?

If so, you'll just have the apps to re-load. Seems a weird problem. Have you had the problem while in other areas? Could it be a mast issue in your area?

4. hotweldfire

hotweldfire Member This Topic's Starter

Been working alright today at work so looks like a local problem as still not working at home tonight. Will sit tight and hope either tmob sort it out (although they insist there's no problem in my area) or the new firmware helps. Have to say that the poor data connection on this phone is it's major flaw.

Thanks for the responses all the same.