HSPA+ reception

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by PatrickHuey, Jul 22, 2010.

1. PatrickHuey

PatrickHuey Active Member

May 23, 2010
    Just a quick question. Tmo recently released many more cities covering with HSPA+ network and i have to live in the Austin, Tx area and i was wondering, how will i know if i am receiving the HSPA+ speeds? People say the "H" will show, but is that true?

Advertisement

2. dasudevil

dasudevil Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Forklift driver for Frito Lay
    Gilbert, Arizona
    i dont think its going to show H in the bar. Its still 3g just faster.

3. PatrickHuey

May 23, 2010
    how do i know if i am recieving the signal? like when i do the speed test what is the MBS i am looking for? i topped out at 3.50 last night. not sure if that is great or not.

4. fangorious

fangorious Guest

The MT3G isn't capable of full HSPA+ speed, it tops out at max 7.2 mbps. Seeing 3.5 is pretty good. Go to here, click "HSPA+ & 3G", then click "See cities with HSPA+". The map says HSPA+ is live in Austin, and your speedtest.net result matches what I just started seeing with too. I used to see about 1.5 before they turned on HSPA+ in Houston. So I think it's working for both of us.

5. DeadPlasmaCell

DeadPlasmaCell Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Spring, Tx
    I remember when they turned it on here in Houston I got about 4-5 that night and ever since I haven't gone over 2 :/

6. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
    VIP Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Houston, TX
    I get so-so reception in and around Houston. I think it only works well when you're close to a tower.

I work near westheimer & beltway 8 and i can only go as high as 2mbps ... upload speeds are even worse.

7. that happened to me too... when they first turned it on in Orlando

8. PatrickHuey

May 23, 2010
    well, thats alright i suppose. there are not any actual "HSPA+" phones out right now, except for the one that is GOING to come out in september, the HTC Vanguard i believe. the new vibrant isnt even an actual HSPA+ phone. eitherway, speeds are still increasing. which is good.

9. Chidori602

Chidori602 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Male
    Yes, I'm getting excellent connection and speeds