HSPA+ reception

Last Updated: 2010-07-25 00:38:20
  1. PatrickHuey

PatrickHuey Active Member

Just a quick question. Tmo recently released many more cities covering with HSPA+ network and i have to live in the Austin, Tx area and i was wondering, how will i know if i am receiving the HSPA+ speeds? People say the "H" will show, but is that true?

Advertisement
  2. dasudevil

dasudevil Well-Known Member

i dont think its going to show H in the bar. Its still 3g just faster.
  3. PatrickHuey

how do i know if i am recieving the signal? like when i do the speed test what is the MBS i am looking for? i topped out at 3.50 last night. not sure if that is great or not.
  4. fangorious

fangorious Guest

The MT3G isn't capable of full HSPA+ speed, it tops out at max 7.2 mbps. Seeing 3.5 is pretty good. Go to here, click "HSPA+ & 3G", then click "See cities with HSPA+". The map says HSPA+ is live in Austin, and your speedtest.net result matches what I just started seeing with too. I used to see about 1.5 before they turned on HSPA+ in Houston. So I think it's working for both of us.
  5. DeadPlasmaCell

DeadPlasmaCell Well-Known Member

I remember when they turned it on here in Houston I got about 4-5 that night and ever since I haven't gone over 2 :/
  6. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

I get so-so reception in and around Houston. I think it only works well when you're close to a tower.

I work near westheimer & beltway 8 and i can only go as high as 2mbps ... upload speeds are even worse.
  7. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

that happened to me too... when they first turned it on in Orlando
  8. PatrickHuey

well, thats alright i suppose. there are not any actual "HSPA+" phones out right now, except for the one that is GOING to come out in september, the HTC Vanguard i believe. the new vibrant isnt even an actual HSPA+ phone. eitherway, speeds are still increasing. which is good.
  9. Chidori602

Chidori602 Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm getting excellent connection and speeds