• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC 10 & Ring Pro

markdoc

Android Expert
Jun 28, 2011
Suburb of New York City, NY, USA
I am in no way associated with the Ring doorbell camera people. I just purchased one and had to jump through hoops to installed it with my "10". This is a tip that will save you minutes, if not hours of aggravation. I could not install the Ring Pro with my HTC 10, even with the help of their support. I had to use my HTC One M9 to install it. Once installed, I can use my "10" without a hitch. The support person said it has something to do with the phone, but they don't know what. My carrier is Verizon but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I also don't know if you'll have the same problem with the standard camera version, but since they use the same software, it wouldn't surprise me. In summary, install with anything but the "10", then enjoy using your "10" from then on. Best wishes.

I'm having same problem with my 10 and ring pro. Works fine on my wife's new blackberry. I could watch the recorded videos but no live view. I'm going to try later re-installing ring with the wife's phone...

So it just never connects? Or the live view button isn't there? Contact dev on play store and see if they can help.

Upvote 0
It's been over a year. Did anyone actually complain to the developers?
You have to speak up to be heard.
That's what is happening here, a user is speaking up. So.....
Yes it never connects when I click on live view and also when I try to adjust the motion sensor. I get the notifications but can't watch it live, but I can watch it from the recordings
Not sure what could be different with the 10 that this is happening. Def reach out to the dev via p[lay store entry for the app. I never had any issues with my 10, though I use the U11 now. DOes it still not work on wifi?
You try clearing cache and data for ring app, then shut phone off and turn back on (dont just restart)
Welcome. I have to answer this phone...

Please stay on topic, not sure what you're getting at.

Upvote 0
It's been over a year. Did anyone actually complain to the developers?
You have to speak up to be heard.

Ring constantly has issues with their system. I get emails from them advising me of the issues at least twice a week. So occasional problems are to be expected. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I have called Ring support many times when I started and occasionally since then. Calling support has helped. Ring support is much better than HTC's.

Upvote 0
Just tried installing it with the wife's blackberry and live video still not working on the 10. And for me, it's only been 24 hrs we ith this problem. I put my review on play store explaining my issue and already having an email conversion with devs. Hopefully this issue can be resolved.
Not surprised Dev's reached out to you. Ring is a great company, and small enough you really still get a personal touch. Let us know how it goes. Would love to know why there is issues with this specific phone. I'll charge mine tonight just to see if it is the same.
Ring constantly has issues with their system. I get emails from them advising me of the issues at least twice a week. So occasional problems are to be expected. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I have called Ring support many times when I started and occasionally since then. Calling support has helped. Ring support is much better than HTC's.

A monkey with a cell phone would give better support than HTC, haha. Seriously, they're the worst. I love their phones, but crap support, and odd bugs and such. They are circling the drain.

Glad to hear you've had good experiences with Ring, though surprised to hear about the issues you've experiences. What product do you have? I have a Ring Pro and a stick up cam. Never had any issues, minus the Pro dying suddenly, but Ring replaced it no questions asked. Lifetime warranty.

Upvote 0
A monkey with a cell phone would give better support than HTC, haha. Seriously, they're the worst. I love their phones, but crap support, and odd bugs and such. They are circling the drain.

Glad to hear you've had good experiences with Ring, though surprised to hear about the issues you've experiences. What product do you have? I have a Ring Pro and a stick up cam. Never had any issues, minus the Pro dying suddenly, but Ring replaced it no questions asked. Lifetime warranty.

Ring has pretty good support and I'm pretty much finished with HTC. I love my '10', but I don't like the direction HTC is going. I don't want a glass phone and I do want an earphone plug.
I have the Ring Pro too. Ring never figured out why I can't use an HTC 10 to set it up. ( and I've had three different '10's. It makes no sense. The problems with setting up the Ring Pro was two fold. The original Ring Pro they sent me was a lemon. My house was the other problem. It was built in the 1950's. Instead of sheetrock or plaster & wood lathe walls, I have cement and chicken wire. It's great in a storm but terrible for hanging pictures or wifi. I wound up using a network extender to boost the signal from outside my front door to inside my house. I actually put the extender in a window next to the front door with the camera. So now I have 4 interconnected LANs in my house; a 2.4 & 5 gig from my router and a 2.4 & 5 gig from my extender. As long as my '10' or other Wifi equipment connects to any of them, they all can 'talk' to each other. Even the 2.4 gig only IP Cameras can be seen on my '10' when connected to a 5 gig network.

Upvote 0

Well I did a factory reset to figure out what app was doing it... Took three days to install them all one at a time to figure which one dead screwing with it..... Turns out that when I updated both the HTC weather and HTC clock..... Ring didn't work.... Uninstalled the updates o them both, ring worked just fine.... Weird

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Well I did a factory reset to figure out what app was doing it... Took three days to install them all one at a time to figure which one dead screwing with it..... Turns out that when I updated both the HTC weather and HTC clock..... Ring didn't work.... Uninstalled the updates o them both, ring worked just fine.... Weird
Wow, super thorough, I would have never had the patience to go through the ringer like you. Hats off to you...

I suppose you could report that to Ring, see if they can make a workaround. No way HTC does anything about this....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones