• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Amaze Camera Hack (Unrooted Too!)

Make sure you go to Settings/Application/ and check mark unknown sources, you could also download App installer from the market, and it will find all your APK's

Am I missing something? I can't install the APK... I have a non-rooted HTC evo3d. What do I do?

Reactions: CarrieK
Upvote 0
Make sure you go to Settings/Application/ and check mark unknown sources, you could also download App installer from the market, and it will find all your APK's

That's odd. I used the apk installer from the market and it worked. I normally don't have to do that. I just go to the download folder on my phone and load the APK, but for this app, it said "cannot open file".... but it works now.

And in my version of the app, I cannot adjust the "White Balance" and "Image Adjustment", it's grayed out. And no where is an option to pick the resolution of the 3d pictures... anyone else get this??

Upvote 0
For stock users, if you install this, are you able to just press the dedicated camera button and have the application open? I'd switch over just for that. It's a PITA to to unlock phone, input password, open up camera app, then take picture when there isn't much time if it needs to be a fast shot. This feature would be PRO. Except if it is in your pocket and you start snapping off pictures...

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
For stock users, if you install this, are you able to just press the dedicated camera button and have the application open? I'd switch over just for that. It's a PITA to to unlock phone, input password, open up camera app, then take picture when there isn't much time if it needs to be a fast shot. This feature would be PRO. Except if it is in your pocket and you start snapping off pictures...

Unfortunately, I can't get the either the Stock Camera or the Amaze Camera to activate on lock screen. I also can't even get the Stock Camera to activate when on the home screen as the Dedicated camera button is pressed.

Pressed it a few times, and nothing happened. Then all of a sudden the Stock Camera app opened up 'by itself'? after the button was pressed. Not sure if the Amaze Camera app is conflicting with the Stock.

The Amaze app itself is pretty nice indeed. Can't wait for Igor to get this baby running at 100%.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I can't get the either the Stock Camera or the Amaze Camera to activate on lock screen. I also can't even get the Stock Camera to activate when on the home screen as the Dedicated camera button is pressed.

Pressed it a few times, and nothing happened. Then all of a sudden the Stock Camera app opened up 'by itself'? after the button was pressed. Not sure if the Amaze Camera app is conflicting with the Stock.

The Amaze app itself is pretty nice indeed. Can't wait for Igor to get this baby running at 100%.

I appreciate the info. I wish this would allow me to open the camera app by holding down the dedicated camera button.

Upvote 0
This is a different camera app, which you can install and keep, and still also keep the stock app, so you can test it out and if you don't like there is no harm, simply uninstall

Ok, I know this is a stupid question but I have to ask, is this separate camera app, or does it replace the stock camera? I understood it to take the place of the stock camera. Is that correct?

Upvote 0
Yes, if you make that a shortcut on your desktop, then default is not needed, but if you want it default, I believe you go into settings/application/manage applications then find the HTC Amaze app and make it default there. If that doesn't work, then I think if you hit the shutter button, it should ask you which application you want it to use, then there you can check mark to use as default and click on the camera you want. going off the top of my head, my phone is in the car right now, lol

Wow, I like this camera so far. I used the HiRes .apk and so far no problems. Is there a way to make it my default camera, so when I press the dedicated button the Amaze app is used?

Upvote 0
Yes, if you make that a shortcut on your desktop, then default is not needed, but if you want it default, I believe you go into settings/application/manage applications then find the HTC Amaze app and make it default there. If that doesn't work, then I think if you hit the shutter button, it should ask you which application you want it to use, then there you can check mark to use as default and click on the camera you want. going off the top of my head, my phone is in the car right now, lol

Thanks Don, that did the trick...adding the app to the desktop and removing the stock app icon.

Upvote 0
Just downloaded it last night (apk). Pictures are much nicer, but thats not the biggest improvement in my opinion. I'd have to say the quick reset for a follow up shot is by far the biggest thing I love about the app. Stock app would take that second to two seconds to reset, Amaze camera app resets almost instantly, vast improvement! Loving it so far...

Upvote 0
I think the main draw is that it can do 1080p video capture in 3D mode. That is not possible with the stock camera app because it is limited to 720p video capture even in 2D mode.

It also seems to have a couple new features with picture manipulation and so forth. I have not completely checked it yet though so there may be even more stuff it can do.

This guy says it can..

Upvote 0
This guy says it can..
Well, there is setting in the menu of Amaze camcorder that says 1080p video bitrate where you can set bitrate for video recording between 8mbps and 18mbps, but this is just bitrate. When I go to Video quality settings the maximum I have is HD (1280x720).

May be rooted phone can record 1080p video, but I can't tell that because mine is not rooted and I installed apk and not zip file.

Upvote 0
This guy says it can..

I tried setting it to 1080p and it is still a resolution of 1280x720 because only regular HD is available. So, for now, it does not have "Full HD" video capture as some people like to call it.

If the 1080p option were present, I would post a screenshot of it for you. I am sure it will be figured out eventually and an updated .apk file to install and .zip file to flash will be made.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones