HTC Aria Cracked Screen

1. ZeViX

ZeViX Member

I've had my HTC Aria for less than 4 days and handed it to some girl and she dropped it. :mad:

Well the glass screen shattered and I was curious if there is anywhere I can get a replacement for it yet?

Incase anyone is curious about the drop it occured from less than 2 feet off the ground. I was in a booth when she handed me the phone and she let go of it before my hand was near. The top left corner was where the impact first hit, and is where the majority of the screen is cracked.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac325/DarkestMidget/HTCPhone.jpg

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Donatron

Donatron Well-Known Member

Yikes. Looks like these guys are about as durable as the new iPhones. Not sure if it would have made much of a difference, but did you have a screen protector on your phone?
  3. ZeViX

ZeViX Member

Yeah, if it is the flimsy clear coat that protects it from scratches, I had one of those on it.

I wish there was a case for it, but I don't think any are out yet.
  4. Cronis

Cronis Well-Known Member

uhg sorry man, but yea just about any of the glass face touch phones if drooped a certain way will crack. I'm not sure where to get it repaired... maybe call HTC? I ended up getting insurance for mine for the first month since its my first touch screen phone.
  5. ZeViX

ZeViX Member

Just called in and the warranty/insurance only covers hardware failures.

I mentioned how the glass screen was cracked, and customer care mentioned it would be roughly $100. I felt that was a bit off, but is that really what it is going to cost me?
  6. Cronis

Cronis Well-Known Member

yea i think so... thats actually a good price, those repairs for other high end phones (Iphone 3g, nexus one, incredible)typically run around $200.
  7. ZeViX

ZeViX Member

I'm hoping it will be less than $100 since it's just the glass screen/cover that's damaged.

Hmmm, well I will try to get it fixed as soon as possible. I'll let you guys know how much it costs me and how I did it. Once I figure out how :O
  8. usernametaken75

usernametaken75 New Member

I thought it was a good deal, MSGNYC, that is why I just bought it. Sorry to the other poster who might have wanted it. I'm sure they'll have more later. I spoke with the HTC repair center this morning and they indicated that because it was a new phone, they wouldn't be able to provide repairs for it for a couple of weeks. My guess is she has no idea what she is talking about, probably just too lazy to keep looking for the info on the Aria/Intruder. She referred me back to AT&T.

I've had that item on my eBay watch list since yesterday, and decided to go ahead and roll the dice on this Hong Kong based seller. I'll let you know how it goes.
  9. ZeViX

ZeViX Member

Ouch, I guess I was to late and will have to continue to keep an eye out :p

I contacted HTC Customer Care and they don't make parts for it yet, as well contacting Onsite Cellular Repair :X I guess it may be a week or two :O
  10. mmazza

mmazza New Member

This happened to me too... much worse really, cracked the whole way down. The touchscreen works fine, infact I'm posting this from the Aria in question.

Perhaps you guys can let us know how the turnaround is on these third party screen/cover dudes is? I'm in the market. :'(
  11. sirrx7

sirrx7 Well-Known Member

You do realize if you replace the glass yourself you void your warranty. It may be cheaper in the long run to pay HTC to do it. What if you replace the screen yourself and then in two weeks the speaker or camera goes out?

I personally void every warranty I get but you may want to consider your options.

also, if you're looking at 3rd party repair places find out if your warranty gets voided. HTC may have a list of approved repair shops.

The least expensive place is NOT always the cheapest.
  12. mmazza

mmazza New Member

WOW, go figure. The day Im ready to order the damned thing, they're out of stock.

Does anyone know how often they restock, or does anyone have a spare digitizer to sell? This is SO AGGRIVATING. I hate having a scrubby cracked looking phone.
  13. NickB

NickB New Member

Has anyone had any luck taking apart this phone? I'm looking to replace my digitzer and I'm trying to get some tips on opening the phone up.
  14. xti14

xti14 Active Member

I'm actually in the same situation as ZeViX with my Aria and I just received the replacement phone today. I got both sitting in front of me and I was wondering if there were any suggestions as to what is the best way for me to transfer my data? That would possibly include my customized scene and apps? Thanks! -Vince
  15. avoidatt

avoidatt Member

Well to be sure there is a design flaw on this phone.
    There's NO WAY my screen should have cracked from the little drop it took.
    I've had this phone for 2 weeks.
    Dropped Blackberries, old iPhones.. lots of phones MANY times and this thing plain sucks in the durability department.
    And we're not alone.. look for this thread to grow.
    Wish me luck returning this hunk of crap.
    What a bummer.
    Nice small phone but not durable enough for everyday use.
    Lame.
  16. Ambictus

Ambictus Well-Known Member

Seriously? If you have a tendency to drop phones then get some kind of case for it. I hate to point out to obvious but shit can break when you drop it.
    SscoootzZ, Ezduzit08 and Jofaba like this.
  17. avoidatt

avoidatt Member

Sitting here with two phones, a Verizon Blackberry and my AT&T Aria.
    Once again, my Verizon has perfect sound, get and makes calls.
    AT&T phone barely connects and I can't hear anything.
    Furthermore, Aria is a delicate flower of a phone which makes it useless to anyone other than a light handed douche.
    And Ambictus, no, I do not have a, "tendency to drop phones" but if a phone drops once in a while it should be fine.
    Maybe the Aria is best suited for people who don't do much that isn't on carpet or far from the ground, a bill you might fit?
  18. Mixup52

Mixup52 New Member

My wife just dropped her Aria this morning (7-15-10). I order a new digitizer from the site in the link above. Should get here in 7-10 days. When it arrives, I will pull it apart and replace it. I will also do a write up (tutorial) on it with pictures. Here is her phone now.

[​IMG]
  19. Ambictus

Guess we all have our own definitions for words.

Perhaps you're right. I do prefer crawling as my method of transportation.
    Jofaba likes this.
  20. Ambictus

Now that is some impressive breakage!
  21. avoidatt

avoidatt Member

This phone sucks, R&D missed it.
    Plain and simple, what is up with all these broken devices?
    This thread is going to get a ton of hits.
    AT&T and HTC have a problem on their hands...
  22. Ambictus

Actually it's a fantastic phone. Fact is glass breaks.
  23. winded10

winded10 New Member

The Aria is a good phone. It happens to have thin glass which is how it stays so light.
    I broke mine after a direct drop on concrete. Glass hit first. I dropped it once before that and the protective shell the phone comes in protected the phone fine. a case that extends just past the glass would do the trick for 99% of the drops.